become an editor
the entire directory
only in Online_Communities/Community_Management
On the Web
Open Directory - Computers: Internet: On the Web: Online Communities: Community Management
Chats and Forums
Computers: Internet: Web Design and Development: Authoring: Webmaster Resources
Society: Subcultures: Cyberculture
About.com: Community Online
- Editors' web site picks for fostering an online community and personalizing web sites.
Benton Foundation: Community Building
- Detailed articles, tools, and resources about community building. Topics range from software recommendations to profiles of successful communities.
Building Community: Online Resources
- Has papers, presentations, stories, indexes, and surveys.
Club about Online Communities
- Whenever you provide people with the ability to communicate online then community develops. This club is about the development and management of online communities.
Community Networking Movement
- "Realizing that communication and information are increasingly dependent on networked digital information, community activists all over the world are developing community computer network systems."
Community Networks: Putting People First
- Editorial by Michael Mulquin. Discusses the role of Community Networks in delivering new information and communications technologies to UK residents. Most content is applicable elsewhere as well. [PDF]
Community is Dead; Long Live Mega-Collaboration
- Usability expert Jakob Nielsen's take on Online Communities: "The Web is not a community: a huge impersonal city is a better metaphor. User-contributed content can be valuable (if edited), but chat rooms should be avoided because of participation inequality."
- Questions and answers and advice for online community builders, users, moderators, managers, and owners.
CornerWays: Community Development, Training, and Moderationn
- Online community development company that provides online community building, consulting and design services worldwide.
- Helps companies manage and moderate all online content within both private online communities, MMOs, virtual worlds and public social media.
Cyberspace Innkeeping: Building Online Community
- Essay by former Wells conferencing manager John Coate explaining what happens in an online social environment.
Full Circle Associates
- Provides strategic facilitation, online community development, marketing, and project management services. Includes a listing of online community building and virtual group facilitation/moderation resources.
How To Kill Community Networks
- By Doug Schuler. Essay describing three common means for the downfall of community networks.
- Article by lawyer Ivan Hoffman discussing membership agreements and resolving issues that arise from them. Applicable only to U.S. Law.
NTT Social Communication Laboratory
- Aims to develop a social information infrastructure and create a new lifestyle for interpersonal communication via the Internet.
Online Community Building Concepts
- List of fundamental principles to consider when starting a new community site.
Online Hospitality: Moderator Guidelines and Community-Building Tips
- Gail Ann Williams writes about building conversation and community in online environments, adapted from the WELL Host Manuals.
The Admin Zone Forums
- Online resource for administrators of bulletin board communities. All topics dealing with running and setting up a forum community are discussed.
WELL Conferencing Team - Community Building and Hosts Manual
- The WELL's description of conferencing, why it's the best tool for building community, and how to get starting in a conferencing environment. Links include the WELL Host Manual.
First Monday - Phantom authority, self–selective recruitment and retention of members in virtual communities: The case of Wikipedia
- Peer-reviewed journal article by Andrea Ciffolilli. (December 01, 2003)
First Monday - A Social Network Caught in the Web
- The authors present an analysis of Club Nexus, an online community at Stanford University. Through the site they were able to study a reflection of the real world community structure within the student body. (May 01, 2003)
CNet.com: Will Media Giants Bulldoze Communities?
- News Analysis by CNET observing how Disney and Time Warner, by building enhanced entertainment sites, threaten topical online communities. (March 31, 1999)
Fragmented by Technologies: A Community in Cyberspace
- Early academic paper studying the human interaction within an online community. The author observed antinomy, atomisation, carnival, decentralization, disembodiment, impersonality, intensification and lurking. (April 01, 1997)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, May 24, 2013 2:20:29 AM EDT -