become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Archives
Reference: Libraries: Digital
2004 U.S. Federal Agency Web Harvest
- A harvest of Federal Agency public web sites as they existed prior to January 20, 2005.
- A subscription service from the Internet Archive, which allows institutions to build, manage and search their own web archive. Includes the sites of universities, libraries, and special interest collections of websites.
Croatian Web Archive
- Program of the National and University Library in Zagreb, is a collection of selected material harvested from the Internet and stored on the Library server. The Archive's mission is gathering and long-term preservation of Internet publications as part of the Croatian national heritage.
The European Archive
- Digital library of cultural artifacts in digital form. The collection includes public information films, recordings and Web harvest of political related and government websites.
- Searchable archive of more than 700 million Usenet postings from a period of more than 20 years.
The Icelandic Web Archive
- Snapshots of Icelandic websites since 2004 in accordance with the Icelandic law on legal deposit from 2002. The collection is limited to .is domains and a hand-picked selection of Icelandic websites within other top-level domains.
International Internet Preservation Consortium (IIPC)
- A membership organization dedicated to improving the tools, standards and best practices of web archiving while promoting international collaboration and the broad access and use of web archives for research and cultural heritage.
The Internet Archive
- Nonprofit organisation established to preserve Web sites by taking regular "snapshots". The Wayback Machine provides links to older versions of a webpage. There are special collections, for example on Web pioneers.
Internet Memory Foundation
- Supports the preservation of Internet as a new media for heritage and cultural purpose.
- Digital history, web archives, and the history of 20th century Canada.
MINERVA: Mapping the INternet Electronic Resources Virtual Archive
- Library of Congress Web Archiving Project aims to collect and preserve Web sites useful in serving the current or future informational needs of Congress and researchers.
National Library of New Zealand: Collections: New Zealand web Archive
- Forms part of the Alexander Turnbull Library collections. Selecting websites from 1999, the collection has continued to grow with active development since 2005. Covers a diverse range of subjects: government, politics, blogs, Māori, including iwi and Treaty of Waitangi, community and ethnic groups, music, organisations, artists and directories, sport, arts and the environment.
- Since 2005 the collection and preservation of the Danish part of the Internet is included in the Danish Legal Deposit Law. The task is undertaken by the two legal deposit libraries in Denmark, State and University Library and The Royal Library. The archive is only accessible to researchers who have requested and been granted special permission to use the collection for specific research purposes.
- Initiative of the Biblioteca de Catalunya to capture, preserve and distribute the web archive of Catalonia.
- Australia's Web archive, established initially by the National Library of Australia, and now built in collaboration with nine other Australian libraries and cultural collecting organisations.
Searchenginewatch.com - It's Tough to Get a Good Date with a Search Engine
- Article by Gary Price and Genie Tyburski. Explores the question of "what is a date on the web?" and notes that a searcher may be misled by the results of searches restricted by date.
Swedish Websites - Kungliga biblioteket
- An evolution of the National Library’s tradition of preserving Swedish cultural heritage. Searches to the Web Archives must be done in person at the National Library, where there are special computers for the purpose. According to Swedish law, the Web Archives may only be displayed inside the library.
- Contains information gathered from BBS's in the early days of the Internet.
UK Web Archive blog
- News and information about the UK Web Archive, provided by the British Library.
UK Web Archiving Consortium
- Creating an archive of culturally significant UK websites.
Web Archives for Historians
- Work on a collective, crowd-sourced bibliography to bring historians together who are using, thinking about using, or getting interested in web archives.
Web Archiving Project（WARP)
- Archiving websites since 2002. Archives Japanese official institutions’ websites: the government, courts, local governments, independent administrative organizations, and universities. Websites of cultural and international events held in Japan, and those related to electronic magazines, are also archived.
WebArchiv - Archive of the Czech Web
- A digital archive of Czech web resources which are collected with the aim of their long-term preservation. The National Library of the Czech Republic, in cooperation with Moravian Library and Institute of Computer Science of Masaryk University, has been organizing preservation of these documents since 2000.
- On-demand archiving system for web pages, usable for generating permanent references. Information about the service; archiving and search forms.
WWW Archive of the National Library of Latvia!
- Archive contains contents of selected Latvian websites starting from year 2008. It also includes foreign websites in cases, when the content is devoted to Latvia.
First Monday: Internet Time and the Reliability of Search Engines
- Journal article by Paul Wouters, Iina Hellsten, and Loet Leydesdorff. Examines the consequences and implications of internet search engines continuously reconstructing the past by updating their indices. (October 04, 2004)
The Register: Archive.org Suffers Fahrenheit 911 Memory Loss
- Opinion piece by Ashlee Vance about how archive.org doesn't permanently save material the way most people believe it does. (July 09, 2004)
The Register: Britain's Web Presence to be Saved
- Announcement of the creation of the UK Web Archiving Consortium (UKWAC). (June 24, 2004)
The Register: The Web as Historical Record
- Essay by Peter Abrahams pointing out "one of the weaknesses of most search engines and the Web itself: you cannot sort by date." (May 04, 2004)
The Register: Google, the Only Archive We'll Ever Need?
- Opinion piece by Andrew Orlowski. Points out that Google can't always index, retrieve and/or sort everything in useful ways, but its supporters are overlooking these major drawbacks to using it as an archive. (September 15, 2003)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 1, 2015 at 8:15:04 UTC -