the entire directory
only in Internet/History
The Trojan Room Coffee Machine
This category in other languages:
- Explores the history of the Internet. Includes information on significant companies and Silicon Valley history.
1971 Prediction of the Web/Telesphere
- The cyberspace concept was described (and referred to as "telepresence") in the 108pp book "Man in the Telesphere". The complete text is now provided on-line.
- Yahoo group dedicated to the preservation of the history of the online world in the days before the Web (pre-1990). Text files, old buffer dumps, BBS discussions, buffers, or anything related to this era is welcome.
A Brief History of the Internet
- An anecdotal history by Walt Howe of the people and communities that brought about the Internet and the Web. Includes a glossary of terms.
Brief History of the Internet
- Ross Shannon provides an overview of the Internet's origins, from ARPANET and email to the Web. Includes a breakdown of the components that make up the Internet.
- Archive of postings to this discussion list dedicated to the history of The Internet.
History of the Internet: Internet for Historians
- This overview by Richard T. Griffiths covers the development of computers, ArpaNet, email, search engines and Basic Net Data.
Internet Society: A Brief History of the Internet
- An authoritative history, written by some of those who were most closely associated with its creation and development.
Internet Society: Internet Histories
- A list of links to resources.
The Internet: Past, Present and Future: Internet and WWW History
- Scholarly article by Jesper Vissing Laursen on the development of the Internet.
The Morris Internet Worm
- Charles Schmidt and Tom Darby explain the what, why, and how of the 1988 Internet worm.
- Anthology of the history of Usenet and the Internet, including descriptive as well as theoretical work.
SearchEngineWatch: Search Engine Birthdays
- It's been a little more than ten years ago that the first web search engines were born. Chris Sherman charts the dates starting with WWW Wanderer in 1993.
The Story of the PING Program
- Brief article about this network utility, written by its creator, Mike Muuss.
World Wide Web Journal
- Published from the winter of 1996 thru the fall of 1997. All issues online, including the Fourth International World Wide Web Conference Proceedings.
World-Wide Web: Origins And Beyond
- Lenny Zeltser describes some of the historical aspects of World-Wide Web development, as well as other forms of hypertext such as Xanadu.
Paul Graham - What the Bubble Got Right
- Essay derived from an invited talk at ICFP 2004. Discusses the dot-com bubble and lasting lessons learned from it. (September 01, 2004)
A Short History of Internet Protocols at CERN
- Ben Segal traces the history of the Internet at CERN. (April 01, 1995)
The Executive Computer; A Web of Networks, an Abundance of Services
- An early New York Times article on the Internet. (February 28, 1993)
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 3, 2015 at 1:09:29 UTC -