become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/References
Automatic Totalisator, The
- Relating to the invention of the world's first automatic totalisator in 1913. A multi user system in 1913 with 30 terminals.
A Brief History of Computing
- Personal homepage that offers an insight into the history of hardware, the Internet and the Windows operating system.
A Brief History of the Computer
- The author takes the user through a short tour of computer history including subjects such as advances in the 50's and 60's. Also includes photos of Charles Babbage and Herman Hollerith.
- 50th Anniversary Celebrations of the Manchester Baby computer and the Manchester Mark 1 and Ferranti Mark 1.
The Evolution of the Modern Computer: An Open Source Graphical History
- Hosts Computer Evolution File, tries to be a complete graphical representation of the evolution of computers for the period 1934 to 1950. License: Creative Commons, Attribution, Share Alike.
The History of Computer Science: From the Past to the Present
- An overview of the developments that allowed the modern day computer to arise from first principles, including looking at Stonehenge, ENIAC, Pascaline, and Turing machines.
History of Computers - During my Lifetime
- Select events from a timeline spanning the 1970's to the 1990's. Subjects include the Commodore PET, the Amiga, RISC architectures and virtual reality.
History of Computers - hitmill.com
- A collection of web resources sorted alphabetically. Topics include the Abacus, Eniac, Charles Babbage and Bill Gates.
History of Hard Drives
- A brief look at the history from an ex-IBM technician. Includes the first IBM RAMAC disk drive.
- A searchable index for classical computer magazines and books, mainly from end of the seventies and beginning of the eighties. Provides a table of contents for each book.
Mind Machine Museum
- A collection of information and illustrations on the subjects of computers, calculators and games. Topics include the IBM 5100 portable computer and the Commodore KIM-1 and VIC 20 microcomputers.
NCR Computers of the 20th Century
- Site about NCR computers of the 20th Century dedicated to those who programmed, maintained and operated them.
New Zealand Bits & Bytes Computer Magazine Archive
- This site contains a downloadble archive of early issues of the microcomputer magazine New Zealand Bits & Bytes, from the early eighties
Quux.Org Archive & Library
- An archive aimed at preserving important pieces of computing and general history. Source code and programs with an eye towards emulators and rare/endangered code. Also specifications and photos of old equipment and several e-book collections.
The Virtual Museum of Computing (VMoC)
- Links to on-line resources concerning the history of computing around the world, including pioneers of the field such as Alan Turing.
The Ways of Counting
- Essay on the history of computers from the abacus, logarithm, ENIAC, and massively parallel computers. Written by computer pioneer Philip Emeagwali.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 30, 2014 at 10:51:03 UTC -