the entire directory
only in Distributed_Computing/Projects
SETI at Home
Computers: Computer Science: Distributed Computing: Platforms
Science: Biology: Bioinformatics: Online Services: Homology Detection
This category in other languages:
- Distributed computing project for finding abc-triples related to the mathematical A+B=C, or ABC conjecture.
- Boitho distributed crawler (BETA). Goal is to make a general internet search engine with a thumbnail picture of all the pages.
The ChessBrain Network
- Distributed network chess experiment. Intends to create a single playing program using donated time.
- Large-scale simulation where each participant is given one slightly different scenario to run. Those that successfully model past weather patterns will be more likely to accurately predict the future.
Computing Minimum Equal Sums of Like Power
- Includes client software download, computation records, and project description on its research into mathematical problems.
- Founded to support the digitization of public domain books. Originally conceived to assist Project Gutenberg, Distributed Proofreaders is now the main source of PG e-books.
Distributed Proofreaders Europe
- Modeled after the Digital Proofreaders project, this variation focuses on digitization of works considered to be in the public domain in Europe.
- Kirk Pearson's directory of current distributed computing projects as well as news articles and related materials.
- Uses a computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors.
- Research project developing a software infrastructure for distributed computing on a world-wide scale.
GPU, a Global Processing Unit
- GPU is an Open Source Gnutella/Pastella client that allows users to share CPU-resources on a truly P2P based cluster. Applications include a Landscape Generator able to generate movies and an experimental Distributed Search Engine. The client is under development.
- A distributed computing effort by the United Devices Global MetaProcessor with the participation of over 2 million PCs worldwide for cancer, anthrax, and smallpox research projects.
Gómez PEER Community
- Project pays select computer users to run a client that tests internet performance.
How to Join Distributed Computing Projects That Benefit Humanity
- An annotated directory of projects combined with commentary and illustrations or screenshots.
The Hunting of the Snark Project
- Explores distributed file sharing through BitTorrent and experiments with the GNU Compiler for Java. It also produces a regular BitTorrent client, torrent creator and tracker program.
Legion: A Worldwide Virtual Computer
- Research project homed at the University of Virginia. An open specification and prototype for a worldwide virtual computer.
- BOINC project, dedicated to general classical dynamics for any scientist or science student.
- Distributed Computing Project aimed towards building the largest search engine index on the Internet using Distributed Crawlers.
Muon1 Optimisation Project
- Uses PC idle time to simulate and design a particle accelerator.
- NGrid is a .Net open source grid computing framework written in C#. NGrid provides a transparent multithread and garbage collected programming model for grid programming.
The NorduGrid Project
- Research and Development collaboration aiming at development, maintenance and support of the free Grid middleware known as the Advance Resource Connector (ARC). News, documentation, downloads, and background information.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Distributed Computing Project
- Project goal is a single run-time environment that ties together several networked supercomputers. Intended users are the community of scientists and engineers addressing "grand challenge" computations.
Quite Advanced Distributed Parallel Zystem (QADPZ)
- The system allows the management/use of the computational power of idle computers in a network. Based on a client-master-slave architecture, using message based communication.
Repository of Grid Research Projects
- News and resources on grid computing.
Search for Fermat Number Dividers
- Screensaver program tries to find divisors of Fermat numbers.
SZTAKI Desktop Grid
- Currently searches for generalized binary number systems.
The Virtual Laboratory Project
- Engaged in research, design, and development of Grid technologies that help in solving large-scale compute and data intensive science applications in the area of molecular biology.
World Community Grid
- Mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. Currently supporting the Human Proteome Folding project to provide scientists with data that predicts the shape of a very large number of human proteins.
- Project of a postdoctoral fellow in Brian Kobilka's lab, in the Molecular and Cellular Physiology department, Stanford University running large calculations, the purpose being to modelize the conformational changes of the beta 2 adrenergic receptor and have a better understanding of its pharmacology. Runs through Mac OSX-only software called XGrid. How to install and configure the software, news about the project, and a FAQ.
American Scientist: Collective Wisdom
- Article discusses the "early days" (pre-1998) of distributed computing projects, explains the basics of how they work and how to get them to work well, describes some early successes, and considers how CPU cycles may someday become a commodity to be bought, sold or traded. (March 01, 1998)
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 15, 2015 at 23:15:50 UTC -