the entire directory
only in Resources/History
Textiles and Nonwovens
Articles and Studies
Songs and Ballads
Business: Textiles and Nonwovens: Resources: History
Regional: Asia: Japan: Arts and Entertainment: Traditional: Textiles
Adire African Textiles
- History and information resource about African adire, adinkra, akwete, aso-oke, bogolan, ewe, kente, kuba, and nupe cloths. Includes information on social organization, processes and technologies. Galleries of fabric designs.
Batik: An Indonesian Textile Art
- Pages from Discover Indonesia, providing a history of batik fabrics, information on the manufacturing process and design, and various regional design styles in use.
The Bayeux Tapestry
- The story of the battle of Hastings where in 1066 William the Conqueror defeated Harold, Earl of Wessex, ensuring the success of the Norman invasion of England, as told in the Victorian replica of the Bayeux Tapestries which is housed in the Museum of Reading.
A Brief History of Lace in the 1500's
- History of the creation of network, bobbin and needle lace during the reign of Queen Elizabeth in the 16th Century, including descriptions of the techniques. From Lynn McMasters' web site.
A Brief History of Navajo Blankets & Rugs
- The history of the materials and techniques of blanket and rug weaving by the Navajo Indians, from the early 1800's until the present. From Len Wood's Indian Territory homepage.
A Brief History of Silk Maps
- Short article about geographical maps printed on silk fabrics, which were issued by British and American intelligence to airforce servicemen during World War II as part of a standard survival kit. From the Map Scarves web site.
- Collection of stamps with the textile industry as their subject, linked to articles about fibers, textiles and tapestry. Stamp galleries.
Cotton: From the Fields to the Mills
- Short history of 19th and early 20th Century cotton cultivation and cotton textile manufacturing in Southern USA. Includes links to information about cotton and American slavery.
Eli Whitney Museum
- Historical on-line resource about the inventor of the cotton gin and the technique of mass producing military firearms.
- An overview of fashion history with chronological reviews of trends in fashion apparel and accessories.
Glossary of Fabric Terms
- Comprehensive glossary of textile technical terms in use from medieval times to the mid 1900s. From Class Act Fabrics.
History of Florentine Costume and Textiles
- Part of the Medici Archive Project related to the golden age of Florentine textiles and clothing manufacture and trade during the existence of the Medici Grand Dukedom of Tuscany from 1537 to 1743.
The History of Weaving
- The history of cloth weaving in short paragraphs, from the Stone Age to the present. Developed by Zeuter Development Corporation, as an educational aid for Canadian schools.
History of Weaving in Nepal
- Information resource on the history and development of weaving in Nepal, gathered through the writings by ancient travelers and traders describing the clothes and rugs of the region. From the Spiny Babbler Museum web site. Edited by Pallav Ranjan.
- Brief history in slide form of the hosiery technology and industry through the ages, written by Rachel Brendle of the Hosiery Technology Center for the 1998 International Hosiery Exhibition.
- Spain. Internet service for textile designers and researchers of textile history, operated by the Terrassa Textile Museum and Documentation Centre. Collection of resource links, searchable by materials, techniques, periods, designs and uses. English, Catalan and Spanish.
Kuba Textiles: An Introduction
- Introduction to the traditional single heddle loom cloth weaving, embroidery, applique, patchwork and dyeing techniques of the Kuba people of Zaire. Author: Ann E. Svenson.
- Short overview of the history of hand and machine lace making in Northern France and Flanders, from the 16th century to the present. From The Other Side web site.
The Language of Revolution
- Glossary of terms in use during the Industrial Revolution in England. Also, the story of the Lancashire cotton industry, with biographies of the inventors and engineers
Martha Ballard's Diary
- Collection of diary entries, starting at August 3, 1786, and related to the household textile production which was widespread prior to the Industrial Revolution in the US.
Pano - A Unique Capeverdean Handicraft
- Homepage about the history and technology of Pano narrow strip weaving technique, including photos and a reading list.
Reconstructing Personal Style in Late Antiquity
- Information resource of the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology's virtual museum, exploring the expressive potential of decorative textiles and fashion in late antiquity.
Riches to Rags: Indian Block-Printed Textiles Traded to Egypt
- Web site of the Kelsey Museum of Archeology describing the history of the textile trade from Asia to Egypt and Europe during 16th century, as it was uncovered at the Fustat and Quseir al-Qadim archeological sites in Egypt.
Sewing Threads: A Brief History
- The history of needles and sewing threads, from the time men began walking on two feet until the end of the 19th Century, including sewing related tales. Author: Alex I. Askaroff.
Stories of Cloth
- Culturally diverse arts and heritage project, initiated and led by visual artist Lesley Sutton, to reflect on the personal memories associated with the ritual events of birth, marriage and death, through the sensory medium of cloth.
Stories of Navajo Crafts and Tradition
- Collection of Navajo personal stories about cloth weaving, told by Navajo teachers. Compiled by Larissa Oliver as part of the Monument Valley High School project web site on concurrently developing and linking the skills of traditional Navajo crafts and computer programming.
Stroud International Textiles Co., Ltd
- UK. Textile promotion company, involved in events organizing and tours of historic textile sites which are part of the European Textile Network.
Textile Production in Ancient Egypt
- Homepage of Hero Granger-Taylor and Stephen Quirke about the materials, technology and tools used in textile production, and fashion and clothing trends in ancient Egypt.
Textiles in History
- Home page of Anne Wanders about textile materials and products from the early history of human kind till the present day. Includes collections of links to publications, institutions, dictionaries, reviews and articles, symposia and biographies.
Textiles of the North American Southwest
- Historical resource of the Smithsonian Institute about the hand weaving traditions of the American Indian and Hispanic residents of the North American Southwest over the past 2000 years. Gallery of weave designs, timeline and glossary of terms. English and Spanish.
The World of Beduin Weaving
- Joy May Hilden's studies of the ancient Beduin techniques of yarn spinning, dyeing and weaving. Library of articles, bibliography and links to related sites.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 23, 2014 at 1:21:30 UTC -