become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Biographies
Textiles and Nonwovens
- Biography of the inventor of the industrial cotton spinning mill. Links to illustrations and local history. 1732-1792.
- Short history of the inventor of a loom which produced repeated weave patterns in cloth and carpets, programmed by a series of punched cards. 1752-1834.
- Short history of the inventor of a hand driven carding machine for cotton fiber processing.
Robert Owen and New Lanark
- Learning modules with a biography of the philanthropic employer who strongly emphasised the importance of environment, education and, ultimately, cooperation in improving social conditions. Born in 1771 and died in 1858, yarn spinner and spinning machine builder, bought and developed one of the largest water powered cotton textile mills of the period, New Lanark near the Falls of Clyde. From the Open University's Learning Space web site.
Samuel Slater: Hero or Traitor?
- Web site of a movie about the life of Samual Slater and his times, including a biography, detailed timeline, profiles of cast and crew, and links to historical sites.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 26, 2015 at 14:15:11 UTC -