become an editor
the entire directory
only in Style_Guides/Grammar
Quizzes and Handouts
Arts: Education: Language Arts: English
Arts: Education: Language Arts: English: English as a Second Language: Student Resources: Grammar and Vocabulary
Business: Business Services: Communications: Writing and Editing: Editing and Proofreading
- A free monthly self-help writing guide for students of the English language who want to communicate more effectively. Guide covers grammar, punctuation, spelling, cliches, and jargon.
All You Need to Know About Commas
- This site will give you information, definition, and rules about commas. Also has links to other sites for further information.
Apostrophe Protection Society
- Illustrates the correct use of the apostrophe in spelling the plural and possessive. Gives examples of misuse and the rules and examples for correct use.
Basic Cozy Grammar Course
- A light hearted approach to learning basic English grammar. Featuring 27 lessons contained on two videos with companion workbook/study guide.
Chicago Manual of Style FAQ
- FAQ site designed to help CMS users eliminate ambiguities or misunderstandings found in the book itself.
A Concise Guide to Writing, Language, and Grammar
- Rules of capitalization and punctuation, as well as commonly mispronounced and misspelled words.
- Improve your writing with free daily e-mail grammar lessons.
English 126 HyperTextBook
- Modern English Grammar from the Daniel Kies and the College of DuPage.
English Chick: Grammar Lessons
- Starts with remedial lessons and expands to other sites.
English Grammar Clinic
- An on-line grammar clinic from England. Administered by the Lydbury Centre. Bulletin boards and chat.
English Grammar The Easy Way
- This site explains English, so that everyone can understand.
English Grammar Tutor
- An online grammar book for student editors.
The English Language
- A site with thoughts on why using sound English is important and on just what "sound English" is.
Fifty Years of Stupid Grammar Advice
- An essay criticizing the grammar rules in, and grammar of, Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style.
Get It Write - Tip Archive
- Offers a new tip about English grammar and usage every two weeks. Subscription service available to have tips sent via email.
Glossary of English Grammar Terms
- A fully cross-referenced dictionary of grammatical terms of English language containing more than 250 English grammar entries.
Grammar and Usage for the Non-Expert
- Targeted, nontechnical articles on problems of grammar and usage that even good writers sometimes have trouble with.
- Grammar explanations, handouts for teachers and students, and interactive exercises.
- Offers opt-in subscribers a free, monthly ezine with a grammar feature and questions and answers submitted by readers, along with a review of a writing resource.
The Grammar Curmudgeon
- Discusses grammatical rules, offers pointers for writers, presents essays on language and related topics, and contains three open discussion boards.
The Grammar Guru
- Web site of syndicated columnist and author of The Grammatically Correct Handbook. Read columns, book chapters, find out how to order the book.
Grammar Hotline Directory
- Find phone numbers, e-mail addresses, web sites which you can contact for answers to short questions about writing.
- Grammar and composition questions answered. Proofreading and editing service are also offered.
Grammar Source: Englishpedia
- A curmudgeonly blog on grammar, with questions answered.
- Brought to you by Patricia T. O'Conner, author of "Woe Is I," and the writer Stewart Kellerman.
How to Write Well: Using the Apostrophe
- Tutorial on the use of apostrophes for omission and possession.
The Kings's English, 2nd ed.
- Online publication of H.W. Fowler's "The King's English."
One Step Forward: Better Writing through Grammar
- Blogged explanations of English grammar rules, from parts of speech and punctuation to putting them all together.
The Online Writing Project
- Provides and organizes writing guides and grammar handouts created by writing centers and English Departments at American universities.
Plain English Training
- Online courses in plain English and grammar.
- A guide to the use of English by Sir Ernest Gowers.
Punctuation Made Simple
- Discussion of several of the most useful punctuation marks: the colon, semicolon, comma, dash, and apostrophe.
- Explanation of usage for reflexive pronouns: myself, himself, herself, themselves, and ourselves. Includes practice sentences and an answer key.
- Diagrams of moderately long and complex sentences are accompanied by explanations for both beginners and experienced diagrammers.
Serendipity: Common Errors
- An examination of common errors that are becoming generally accepted as correct. A mini-course in English usage.
Tomato Nation: Sincerely Your's
- Essay about incorrect grammar usage, with examples of common errors and advice as to how to avoid them.
The Truth About Grammar
- Two word lovers fighting the War on Error.
- Tips, tutorials, and resources for writers, students, editors, educators, and web designers. Also, Webgrammar answers questions about American English grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and usage.
What's the Plural of `Virus'?
- A thorough investigation.
Your Guide to English Prepositions
- Software program designed to help users find/know the right preposition in 5 seconds.
Washingtonpost.com: A Dash of Comma Sense
- Columnist gives examples why correct punctuation is important. (May 25, 2004)
Usenet alt.usage.english -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 2, 2014 at 6:35:05 UTC -