the entire directory
only in Writers_Resources/Style_Guides
Arts: Education: Language Arts: English
Arts: Education: Language Arts: English: English as a Second Language
Games: Video Games: Word Games: Browser Based
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics
11 Rules of Writing
- Concise guide to some of the most frequently violated rules of writing, punctuation, and grammar.
- The music and magic of words. This is the website for the mailing list A.Word.A.Day (AWAD), which sends a vocabulary word and its definition to the subscribers every day.
Bartleby.com: Strunk's Element of Style (1918)
- For use in English courses in which the practice of composition is combined with the study of literature. It aims to give in brief space the principal requirements of plain English style.
The Book of Cliches
- A compilation of common phrases, euphemisms, and rationales for times of trouble. Organized by occasion.
- Special tool word-searches 3,300 cliches.
Common Errors in English
- Catalogue of writing or speaking mistakes and easily confusable words, with corrections.
The Economist Style Guide
- Guide based on the style book given to all journalists at The Economist.
- A guide to English grammar. Also links to punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, and writing guides.
- An online tutorial for the parts of speech with style notes for the English Language.
Focusing on Words
- Subscription-based site for vocabulary development, showcasing the Latin and Greek roots of English words.
Garbl's Editorial Style Manual
- Provides advice on abbreviations, capitalization, grammar, numbers, plurals, possessives, punctuation, spelling and word usage.
Good Grammar, Good Style
- Articles and answers to frequently asked questions about grammar, mechanics, and style. Links and bibliography.
- This help file indexes style and usage, capitalization, abbreviations, punctuation, letter writing, common mistakes and a grammar glossary.
The Guardian - Style Guide
- Guide to word usage, grammar and punctuation for The Guardian, Observer and guardian.co.uk publications. UK.
Guide to Grammar and Style
- The information ranges from copy editing to elements of style to discussions. Practical information about the writing craft.
Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Digital handouts on grammar and English usage. From subject-verb agreement and use of articles to exercises in parallel structures and argumentative essays. You can submit questions about grammar and writing.
Guides for Better Science Writing
- Bibliography of style manuals for scientific research, writing, and presentation. Guides for biology, medicine, chemistry, engineering, geology, and mathematics.
- A cooperative effort to coin useable terms and then trick people into using them regularly as though they are real words.
- A list of lesser-known features in English writing. Hendiadys, holonyms, and hypernyms.
- A free online resource to improve your writing skills. Learn how to write, how to use words, how to write sentences, and how to communicate effectively.
Modern Language Association
- The Modern Language Association is the official guide to non-fiction writing. Includes a guide to MLA style.
NoodleBib - The MLA Bibliography Composer
- A free tool to create, edit, and save your MLA-style bibliography online, then publish it to a Web page, email it, or save it as RTF and open it in Microsoft Word.
Online Classes in Rhetoric, University of Minnesota
- The University of Minnesota offers a number of Internet correspondence courses in rhetoric. Sign up here.
Pataphysics, Pataphors and Pataphorology
- An extended metaphor that creates its own context. A science invented by P.A. Lopez and derived from the science of 'pataphysics as described by Alfred Jarry.
The Philosophy of Punctuation
- Paul Robinson's classic essay on periods, commas, semicolons, dashes.
- A generator of headlines and copy for journalists. Enter a word and the database is searched to provide a list of phrases related to that word.
Plain English Campaign
- An independent group fighting for plain English in public communication. We oppose gobbledygook, jargon and legalese.
Plain Language Action Network
- Promoting clearer communication between the public and government. This site has resources for writers to attain that goal.
- The dictionary for words that wouldn't make it into dictionaries.
Ralph's Manual of Style
- A guide to style, grammar, usage, and more by a guy named Ralph.
- Writing about American slang.
Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature
- Bimonthly publication, SPELL/Binder, contains articles on grammar, usage, word origins, and other subjects of interest to language lovers.
SoYouWanna Avoid Common Writing Errors
- We compiled a list of the most common writing errors people tend to make. This is not a primer on grammar or essay-writing. This is a checklist of things which you might well do and which you must stop doing.
The Sports Cliche List
- A large, searchable collection of sports cliches, lingo, and jargon.
The Tongue Untied
- Grammar, punctuation and style for journalists.
- Group for discussions of words and language.
Tribe: Word Freaks
- Group for people who love discussing words and writing style.
Tribe: Words of Power
- For people who love words, use them, feel them in their mouths as flavorful bursts of energy. This is the tribe for fun with words and receptive learning.
- A veritable cornucopia of streetwise lingo, posted and defined by its readers.
- Richard Lederer's page, with contact information and a handful of his language-loving articles.
The Visual Thesaurus
- An exploration of sense relationships within the English language. By clicking on words, you follow a thread of meaning, creating a spatial map of linguistic associations.
- The elements of typographic style applied to the web.
The Well Bred Sentence
- Online book offering an intensive course in sentence construction and punctuation.
The Word Centre
- Consulting firm dedicated to training businesses to use plain English. Free newsletter and professional editing services.
The Word Detective
- The online version of the newspaper column answering readers' questions about words and language. An extensive column and word archive. Written by Evan Morris.
- An interactive column by The Atlantic's Barbara Wallraff. Discovers needs in our language and recommends new words to fill them.
- A message board where you can request and brainstorm words, names, titles, coinages, puns, phrases, slogans and slang.
The Word Nerds
- A weekly podcast about words, language, and why we say the things we do.
- Efforts have been made to provide some of the best thoughts, ancient and modern, that are particularly appealing for our time and to promote a greater appreciation for the English language.
- Word lists that provide thematic units of English words derived from Latin and Greek sources.
- Tips on writing, English, and grammar. This site also includes active community college English syllabii and links to other writing, grammar sites.
- The word lover's web site by Paul McFedries.
- Delve deeply into a word or subject. Quick search of several word and language related sites.
- Portal for word lovers. Learn about word meanings, slang, quotations, insults, and famous authors. Wordwizard offers a round trip across the English language.
World Wide Words
- Explores the history, evolution byways, quirks, and curiosities of the English language. New and recent words and phrases are often featured, as are books on aspects of English. A weekly newsletter is sent by e-mail and RSS.
- A series of useful tools to enhance writers' and students' creativity, spark ideas and fight writer's block.
- Interactive site created to help students improve English reading, writing and listening skills.
Yale Style Manual
- For the design of Web pages and Web sites. Covers graphic and information design, page layout, Web graphics, site organization, navigation, and Web multimedia content.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 8, 2014 at 11:57:40 UTC -