the entire directory
only in Writers_Resources/Software
Open Directory - Arts: Writers Resources: Software
Spelling and Grammar
Computers: Software: Freeware: Editors
Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows: Software: Shareware: Text
Computers: Software: Word Processors
Reference: Knowledge Management: Knowledge Creation: Brainstorming: Software
- Creates a database and table of acronyms from a document. Free trial version offered.
- Storylines and Writer's Cafe: software for writers.
- Storybase is a dictionary of essential human situations. Spark the imagination and access unique story elements in an online beta version, and the full version for download.
AutoCrit Writing Center
- Offers an online editing tool for writers, a writing advice center and a library of how-to articles written by published authors. Free and paid versions.
- Products include PageFour, All My Journals and SmartEdit, as well as the freeware Character Name Generator.
- Offers professionally designed templates and software for publishing online magazines and newspapers.
Chapter by Chapter
- Freeware for novel writers who use Microsoft Word. Allows for the management and organization of chapters within a book with one doc file per chapter.
- Software for both screenwriters and novelists. Generate characters and story within one interface.
- Search, edit, combine, or cut and paste entries and move them into any Windows or Mac application. From Epigraphics.
- Helps writers generate new ideas through the use of text randomization and manipulation. Functions include word shredding, morphing, random words and Robopoem.
- Hi-Note to outline and brainstorm on the go. Create notes and subnotes. Easily incorporates graphics as well as text.
- A free online tool for plagiarism checking.
- Article spinning software allows the addition of synonyms and spintax characters to create readable versions of articles.
- Formats new and existing papers in the APA, MLA, AMA, and Turabian/Chicago paper formats. Insert Zotero references, enter and reuse references, or import references.
- StyleWriter is primarily designed to edit advertising copy, business reports, contracts, manuals, newsletters or web pages. Also offers the Electronic Writing Course and a premium service that guarantees all employees use a consistent style for standards set by an organization.
English Language Online Tools
- Readability tests: detect frequently used words, complicated vocabulary.
- Service involving software analysis which tracks characteristics of bestselling novels to define a model of what readers desire. Corresponding aspects of one's manuscript are matched to this paradigm or to a specific work.
Great Dialogue Software
- Shows how to write dialogue, comic or dramatic. Gives techniques, and examples. From playwright and screenwriter Peter Colley, WordPower Technologies.
- Assists in the creative and technical aspects of writing, including idea and source management, bibliographical citations in APA, MLA and Chicago, composition organization, and research administration. Export single items or multi-selected items from a portfolio to MSWord, RTF, HTML, or XML.
- Software that assists in writing business documents and business letters.
- Idea Tracker, for customizing, organizing, sorting, filtering ideas, thoughts and notes. Free trial available. Windows.
Liquid Story Binder
- Designed for professional and aspiring authors, poets, and screenwriters. Features include: spellchecking, thesaurus, document indexing, checklists, image gallery, notes, multiple backups.
McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme
- Free software version of the McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, an authoritative reference work.
Micro Power and Light Co.
- Readability software that calculates scores according to nine readability formulas including Dale-Chall, Spache, FOG, SMOG, Powers, Fry, Flesch Reading Ease, Flesch Grade Level and FORECAST.
- SuperNotecard is an intuitive tool that uses notecards to capture and organize your ideas. Also available is SuperNotecard for Scriptwriting.
- Novel writing software which enables the writer to structure, plan and write. Exports in several file formats including ePub, Adobe PDF, RTF, HTML, Word 2003-2010, and Open Office.
- Breaks down the process of writing into manageable chunks, to help experienced and novice writers complete a novel.
- Free online plagiarism checker. Upload txt, HTML, RTF, doc, odt,docx, files.
Pro Writing Aid
- Free manuscript editing software for writers. Check writing for overused words, vague, abstract, and complex words, as well as spelling and grammar. Shows a sentiment score and highlights repeated words and phrases.
- Freeware minimalistic and full screen word processor. Features auto-correction, spell checker, live text statistics and notes.
Readability Software Online
- Web based readability software that compares your writing with how often the words appear in the Internet.
Recipes for Word
- Software for fiction, nonfiction and student/ scholars. Grammatical style checker, literary database to match with agents.
- An MS Word integration which facilitates writing in MLA, APA, CBE or Chicago styles, rapidly citing sources, and accurate editing. Download free trial for Mac or PC.
- Free software designed to help authors put together the snippets, outlines, fragments and chapters that go into a finished novel. Also offers stock charting software, an ebook reader, a mp3 and ogg player, text to speech, and stock market data.
- Offers a free, open source novel-writing software to keep an overview of multiple plot-lines. The paid version, Storybook Pro, provides further capabilities, to export and print a project to a variety of formats.
- Story development software, including Power Structure and StoryCraft Luxury Edition.
- Provides word count progress meters, readability analysis tools, idea generators and other utilities for authors.
- Novel writing software provides exports to HTML, PDF, and RTF (MS Word). Proprietary format used within the program.
- Offers the Dramatica, Movie Magic Screenwriter, and StoryWeaver software for novelists and screenwriters. Includes articles and free online classes.
- Formats text and pops in references in MLA style. For term papers, journal articles, theses, and dissertations.
- An online service that allows entry of text or a website. Displays readability analysis, including reading level, sentence length and word counts.
- Calculates the frequency of words, phrases and substrings in any document or web-page, showing results in tables with sorting, filtering and highlighting.
The Readability Test Tool
- Provides a way to test readability of a work. Test all, or part of a web page, by referer, or type in your text.
The Writer's Interface
- Offers a collection of craft tools for writing a novel. Writing prompts and dramatic structures are included in the novel writing interface.
- A free online tool to obtain word and character count. It can be used from any platform with a web browser.
- An online tool that ranks the most frequently used words in any given body of text. Use it to find keywords, or just to see what words have been overused.
- A program designed to help article marketers and other creative writing professionals increase their productivity, by allowing them to take existing PLR articles, or their own original articles, and turn them into separate unique articles by rewriting them fast.
- Writing tools include business, sales and personal letter templates, novel and story writing software, and document templates.
- Write and store complete novels. Keeps track of characters, events, locations, and ideas. Provides timeline charts, spell checker and manuscript submission tracker. PC and Macintosh computers.
- Small freeware tool for writers. Generates writing exercises, based on a set of keywords and criteria.
- Novel-writing software in Pro and Standard editions. Supports RTF, HTML, PDF, .doc and .docx file formats and exports for Kindle and Nook.
- Assists with the development and organization of written material. Export Blocks or manuscript as .docx, .doc, .RTF, .txt, HTML.
- Brainstorm, organize, edit and publish in one program. Designed for the classroom or single user. Compose in English or Spanish.
- Offers a free online test of the software, which is designed to help the writer organize and develop a story.
- A MS Word add-in for writers who work on long or complex writing projects. Manage and edit each part of a long text as a separate document, and then merge them.
- A portal of writing software resources.
- A text editor with special functions for newsletter, article, blog and autoresponder message writing. Includes "fixed character per row" formatting, spell checking, thesaurus, and text stats.
- Software for publishing online magazines and newspapers. Creates article webpages, table of contents and chronological archive webpages using customizable templates.
- A Windows software suite that assists writers in creating, organizing, and writing articles, short-stories, and books.
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Monday, December 17, 2012 10:19:56 PM EST -