become an editor
the entire directory
only in Drawing/Education
Arts: Visual Arts: Education
About.com: Drawing and Sketching
- Offers tutorials and exercises for skill development. Includes articles, categorized links, and a forum.
Academy of Fine Arts Practicum
- The Repin Institute of the Russian Art Academy offers online art courses available in your choice of languages including English.
Art School Online
- Roger Elliott presents lessons on drawing portraits, drawing ships, perspective, digital art techniques and color theory.
Art Studio Chalkboard
- Illustrated lessons describe linear and atmospheric perspectives, shading and grayscale values, and the “golden mean”, one of four compositional models.
- Free tutorials about drawing people and faces with charcoal. Art tutorials on CD are available for purchase.
Bet Borgeson Studio
- Teaches the colored pencil medium and personal artistic growth through online courses. Includes a FAQ about technique and practice assignments.
The Bradley Gallery
- Free pastel pencil demonstrations by Colin Bradley. Videos and lesson packs that include materials needed to create a drawing are available for purchase.
- This instructional video of a charcoal portrait can be played and easily paused to check the progression of the drawing. Includes a discussion of the practical side of values and edges.
Clare Walker Leslie's Guide to Sketching Trees
- Nature journal and tree drawing tutorial focusing on tree silhouettes, limbs, leaves, seasonal deciduous trees, and evergreen trees. Pages for your own sketches are included. [PDF]
Colored Pencil Techniques by Kristy Kutch
- Artist and instructor gives a step-by-step demonstration of colored pencil techniques using the poppy flower as inspiration.
Compendium of free art lessons
- This archive of 40 free lessons begins with how to look and teaches values, edges, negative space, shadows, color, and composition. It ends with how to price your art.
Discover art with Sandra.
- Master art in weeks instead of decades. Learn to draw quickly with easy 30 minute daily lessons.
Discover How to Draw
- Presents step by step drawing lessons on a variety of subjects.
- Short video clips demonstrate charcoal drawings of basic shapes, perspective, a portrait, human figures, and a still life. Lessons describe drawing techniques.
- An introduction to understanding 3D principles in drawing includes perspective tutorials and video demos.
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
- Author Dr. Betty Edwards introduces her teaching technique, the theory behind it, exercises, workshops and materials.
Drawing Pencil Sketches
- Professional teaching techniques share the knowledge of artistic expression from basics to advanced levels for drawing and sketching. You can upload your sketches to the Online Drawing Showcase.
Drawing the Human Hand
- Ron Lemen’s tutorial uses precise drawings to show the human hand in proportion to the head and body. It examines the hand mass, the thumb mass, and the line of action.
- Excerpts from Heather Williams' book "Drawing as a Sacred Activity", artwork by the artist, creativity links, and free drawing lessons in pdf format.
- Vincent D. Whitehead’s tutorials show intricate drawings of bark and tree foliage done with ballpoint-style pens. He provides step-by-step instructions and techniques.
Drawing Tutorials Online
- This membership site teaches technical drawing skills, offers career advice, and provides instructional DVDs, photo reference PDFs, and photo reference CDs.
- Offers free and for purchase pdf drawing classes featuring Brenda Hoddinott's style of teaching. Classes include beginning, intermediate and advanced levels.
Easy Drawing Tutorials
- Choose one of your favorite cartoon characters shown here and watch a how-to video with step-by-step drawing instructions.
- Art tutorials with drawing tips teach perspective, composition, dimension, and how to draw what you see.
- A gallery shows images for step-by-step drawing tutorials plus art commissions and contests.
Gesture - The Foundation of Figurative Art
- Artist Rebecca Alzofon teaches the basics of gesture drawing through the drawing of a figure. Discusses the concepts of organizing a stick figure, projection and volume augmentation, and loosening up in order to capture expressive line.
How to Draw Cartoons
- Simple step-by-step lessons for drawing cartoons are available online and free. Multiple subjects range from animals and cars to dragons and trees.
How To Draw Easy.com
- Learn to draw caricatures, cartoons, and cars using pencil and colored marker pen techniques for line art and sketching as presented in numerous posts and step by step exercises.
How to Draw Funny Cartoons
- Includes tutorials and lessons for drawing cartoons of people, animals, and objects. Illustrated examples and coloring pages can be printed.
How to Draw It
- How to draw animals, cartoons, and people. Suitable for adults or children.
Learn to Draw
- Teaches drawing basics, how to draw portraits and how to draw caricatures. Some content is free and some access to the site must be paid for.
Learn to Draw Lessons
- Free drawing tutorials and videos teach how to draw from direct observation.
Pen Drawing, An Illustrated Treatise by Charles D. Maginnis
- Scroll to read the timeless chapters: Style in Pen Drawing, Materials, Technique, Values, Practical Problems, and Drawing, with 72 illustrations from Pennell to Mucha.
- Has free downloads for ink and watercolor wash tutorials, drawing practice sheets, and copyright-free photos. Offers Pat Van Kirk Wilson's e-book guide to sketching.
Portrait Art Tutorials
- Lessons on drawing the face and head by J.R. Dunster. Also covers color theory for portraits, drawing techniques, and digital art.
Russell Stutler’s Book About Sketching
- This online book provides detailed information and illustrations for tools and materials; where, when and what to sketch; how to sketch; and a sketch demonstration.
- Free tutorial videos teach how to draw simple and funny cartoon characters in just a few minutes.
Sketching Wild Birds
- A slide show of bird drawing tips by artist Trevor Smith, author of "Sketching Wild Birds - A Practical Guide."
Toad Hollow Studio
- Drawing lessons for free and for purchase by Carol Rosinski. Forum, gallery and weblog.
- Private painting class (North York & Richmond Hill) Class size is limited to 4 participants Each student will get a Personal Online Portfolio
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 2, 2014 at 6:24:09 UTC -