become an editor
the entire directory
only in Documentary/Photo_Essays
Techniques and Styles
Arts: Photography: Techniques and Styles: Documentary: Photographers
News: Journalism: Photojournalism
- 49 photos by Jerry Hall documenting Nashville's eccentric southern nature since 1997.
- Photographic journey through the aftermath of 9-11, the heroes, the missing and the mourning, in memory of those who died.
American Families: Beyond the White Picket Fence
- By Courteney Coolidge, exploring the lives of ten families across the United States at the dawn of the new millennium.
Around the World in a Viewfinder
- A selection of photo essays by Jean-Philippe Soule to present various Native Cultures.
As Long As We Both Shall Live
- An ongoing essay depicting long-married couples in America. By Robert Fass.
- Fire as a cleansing agent and as society's post-industrial solution to the problem of death. By Juraj Lipscher.
- Photography by Zbigniew Kosc of monasteries and monks of Mount Athos, Greece.
Behind The Stonewall
- 5 essays on US Civil War battlefields Harpers Ferry, Antietam, Manassas, Gettysburg and Chickamauga.
Berlin Mitte: Explorations of an Urban Conversion
- Photography by Ulrich Wuest looking at the transformation of East Berlin after the fall of communism
The Boys of Ramallah
- Jean Garup follows a group of Palestinian kids from school to stone-throwing to home.
The Call Centre
- A documentary on the people and work at a particular call centre, by John Perkins.
Children of Eastern Europe
- Of children living in orphanages and psychiatric hospitals in Russia and Moldova, and who have gone underground in Bucharest, Romania. By Northstar Gallery.
- A series of images shot below the submersion levels of China's future Yangtze reservoir. By Bill Zorn.
East Side Stories
- Black and white photographs of Latino gang members in East Los Angeles by Joseph Rodriguez.
- By Lauren Greenfield. A photographer's penetrating look at youths growing up on both sides of the tracks in the shadow of Hollywood - also a book.
- Photo essay about a photo festival in Holland.
Friends Of Vast Industrial Concrete Kafkaesque Structures
- Photo journal of industrial structures in the Los Angeles area with commentary and observations. By Greg Ercolano.
Holding Ground under Water
- On China's Three Gorges Dam and its effects on the environment and people of the Yangtze River Basin. By Ben Sandler.
- This site contains photos of a small area of the Arkansas Ozarks called Iceledo. These are seasonal photos of streams and woodlands taken during the late 1970's by Willie Weeks.
- Features photographs of Kurdistan (Turkey) people, landscape and history by Zbigniew Kosc.
Looking for the Light
- The last decade of the AIDS crisis photographed by well-known New York photographer Scott Thode. Co-published with the New York Times.
The Lost Border, Photographs of the Iron Curtain
- By Brian Rose, documenting the landscape of the Iron Curtain and the Berlin Wall in 1985; the dismantling of the Wall at the end of 1989; and the subsequent changes in the border zone, particularly at Potsdamer Platz.
Mexican Community in New York City
- Photographer Mary Teresa Giancoli documents the rituals, festivals and foods of the Mexican community in New York City.
- Discover the roots of our place in history, through an archaeology of our culture. By Shaun O'Boyle.
- Photos of 'Miscellaneous Heroes'.
Morning Light Photography
- Seasonal and scenic photographs from the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.
- Navajo indian culture and history in pictures. Earl Waggoner lived on the Navajo Indian Reservations in the 1950s and recordered the culture of the Nation among dramatic panoramic views of the Southwest.
New York Changing
- Berenice Abbott's Changing New York project with the identical camera, at the same time of day and year, showing the city's evolution over 65 years.
Over the Roads
- Photographs of Iran based on "Towards Ispahan" a Pierre Loti novel. Links to Loti's biography, articles and web-based books.
The Photo Documentary Press
- Black and white photo essays and documentary work with passion. Specializing in editorial assignments, portraits, weddings, and fine art books.
- Non-fiction about urban life and international travel by a professional photographer cum community activist.
The Pigeon Train
- 2 photo essays in Korean and English: the Pigeon Train, and soldiers on the northern frontier of South Korea (untitled). By Lee Jin Hong.
Samuel's Spina Bifida Surgery In Utero
- Miraculous photograph of a twenty-one week old fetus reaching out of his mother's womb to grasp the hand of his surgeon.
- By K.N. Chaudhuri, historian, writer, and artist who specialises in historical sites and presents through photo-texts and images a distinctive interpretation of landscape.
Scott Carrier: From Afghanistan
- A photo-audio-essay, with excerpts from Harper's magazine article: "After the Fall, Letters from Afghanistan" (April 2002).
Slices of America
- Taylor Lasseigne's album of photos from around the U.S. and Canada.
Soccer in Liberia by Tim Hetherington
- Tim Hetherington looks at soccer in a Liberia recovering from civil war.
Spotfire Images: Wildfire Photojournal
- Photo-essays of wildland firefighting, including smokejumping and hot shot crews. By Alaska Smokejumper and photographer Mike McMillan.
- A photo guide to St.Helier,Jersey documenting its history and its relationship with New Jersey.
- Seamus Murphy's award-winning story on war torn Sierra Leone's Olympic hopefuls.
- Black and white images of Sydney's seafront by Trent Parke of Magnum.
- Vietnamese culture and lifestyle by Filipino photographer Claro Cortes.
World War II - The Photos Tell
- Images from World War II's Holocaust and the history behind several well-known images. By Louis Bülow.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 19, 2016 at 16:05:07 UTC -