the entire directory
only in Music/Theory
Open Directory - Arts: Music: Theory
Magazines and E-zines
Arts: Music: Musicology
This category in other languages:
8-Tone Quarto-Modes Concept
- Information with mp3 files, an introduction to the "diminished-major" and its applications.
A Beginner's Guide to Modal Harmony
- A concise explanation of the Gregorian and Renaissance modes and their development in the Common Practice era.
- Claims that atonality is unnatural while tonality is acoustically and historically natural.
Analysis of Masterpieces
- Analysis of full-music 20th Century atonal pieces.
Atonal Set Calculator
- Interactive atonal set calculator for pitch class sets and twelve-tone rows. Enter one or two sets and find normal order, prime form, Forte number, interval vector, and symmetry.
- Transposes all twelve major keys of chord progressions.
- A contemporary alternative to atonal styles of composition.
Dolmetsch: Music Theory & History Online
- Offers a musical dictionary, recorder lessons, instrument information and a composers listing.
Dynamic Spectrograms of Music
- Provides a type of spectrogram suitable for understanding the structure of music.
Eric Weisstein's Treasure Trove of Music
- A reference resource on music theory, covering in brief a vast array of topics.
Essentials of Music Theory
- Summarizes entry-level music theory through advanced topics. Includes beginners' drills.
Fugue No. 17: A-Flat Major
- Introduction to the essential concepts of Schenkerian analysis applied to the Ab Major fugue of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I
Fugue Treatises, Analyses and Tools
- Bibliography of fugue analysis research, writings and analysis.
Gems of Compositional Wisdom
- Articles on advanced atonal and serial concepts.
- Online ear training site.
- A paper about the unification of Janecek's theory of imaginary tones with the two Risinger's principles of functional relations.
- By Tom Sutcliffe. Aims to help students of music theory understand the role of chord progressions in musical structures. Site includes animated demos.
Interactive Circle of Fifths
- A free music theory tool designed to help musicians interpret chord progressions, easily transpose music to a different key, compose new music, and understand key signatures, scales, and modes.
Modes and Scales in Indian Music
- A historical look at concepts of Indian scales and modes comparing North and South Indian approaches.
- The science of music. Explanations of how musical instruments work via waves and frequency modulation.
- A guide to music theory that including chords, scales, music notation and other music theory topics. Has weblog format; includes links as well.
Music Theory Help Site
- Intermediate music theory help covering basics through beginning formal analysis and counterpoint.
Music Theory Instruction
- Online instruction for all musicians beginner or advanced. Covers scales, chordal theory, progression theory, modes and foreign scales.
Music Theory Society of New York State
- Provides a forum for the exchange of information and to promote music theory as a scholarly and pedagogical discipline. Site also contains membership and scholarship information as well as open calls for papers.
Music Theory for the Short Attention Span
- Essential music theory knowledge, briefly explained.
- Downloadable worksheets for elementary and middle school students.
- Online ear training fundamentals site. [Requires Java]
Pattern Thinking in Music
- Offers visual aid to recognizing musical patterns occurring in melody, harmony and rhythm. Provides online demonstration; requires download.
Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net
- Includes introductory and intermediate music theory lessons, ear trainers, and books.
- An introduction to Schenkerian analysis for undergraduate music students. Includes background, working method, glossary and bibliography.
Sight-Reading Rhythmic Patterns
- Rhythmic exercises with accompanying MIDI files.
Simplified Music Chord Theory
- Explains scales and building chords from them.
Skytopia: Music and Art Aesthetics
- Author's overview of how every piece of music, every sound, and every picture can be rated on its own merits outside (as well as inside) human opinion.
Society for Music Theory
- Includes a database of journal article from the SMT Journal.
Solomon's Music Resources
- Resources for composers, music theorists, and researchers of music, with sound files, papers and compositions.
- Free preparatory syllabus in music theory and orchestration.
Technical Committee on Musical Acoustics
- A group within the Acoustical Society of America, that concerns itself with the application of science and technology to the field of music. Contains members, a list of papers, acousticians and links.
- Includes software, books, exercises, and links.
The Ancient Musical Modes
- Ideas regarding the "classical modes" described by Plato and Aristotle.
The Music Theory Minute
- Online music theory tutorials for beginning students.
The Musical Intervals Tutor
- Offers interactive music intervals and self-testing.
The Tonal Centre
- Interactive site for music composers and theorists which explains and demonstrates some of the key concepts of tonality; including chords, scales, cadences, and modulation.
Theory on the Web
- Intermediate music theory review for college students.
- Fundamentals of tonality and music theory created as an online teaching tool with written and aural examples.
VCU Music Theory Resources
- Music theory and ear training resources from Virginia Commonwealth University.
What is Music - Solving a Scientific Mystery
- Provide information on the book by Philip Dorrell which explains a new scientific theory about music: the super-stimulus theory.
- Java applets designed to help students of music improve their basic music reading skills.
Usenet rec.music.theory -
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:14:48 AM EST -