become an editor
the entire directory
only in Jazz/History
Arts: Music: History
Arts: Television: Programs: Documentaries: Jazz
Regional: North America: United States: Louisiana: Localities: N: New Orleans: Arts and Entertainment: Music: Jazz
Red Hot Jazz Archive
- A history of jazz before 1930 offering RealAudio files, biographies, discographies, and filmography.
All That Jazz
- The history of jazz starting from the late 1800's.
- Dedicated to the preservation of early jazz history.
A Brief History of Modern Jazz
- Succinct summary of major artists identified with bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, modal jazz, bossa nova, and jazz rock. With links to audio from Milt Jackson tribute CD.
Chicago Jazz Archive
- Significant collection founded in 1976 at the University of Chicago including early recordings, sheet music, photos and piano rolls, much of which is accessible online.
Great Day in Harlem
- Click on Art Kane's August 1958 photograph of 57 jazz musicians for names of those pictured, or browse by timeline, instrument, or style. Link to the Jean Bach documentary of the shoot, online sales of the photo originally published in Esquire magazine.
The Hard Bop
- Music and the musicians of the jazz style of the late 1950s and early 1960s. Photos.
Heptune: Lorenz-Pulte Jazz Page
- Fan site profiling Cab Calloway, Blanche Calloway, Louis Armstrong, Don Redman, Fats Waller, Frankie "Half-Pint" Jaxon, and Lil Johnson.
Historian Max Morath on Popular Music Standards
- Musician and historian Max Morath discusses American popular music standards with Jerry Jazz Musician. Pictures, sound files, text.
A History of Jazz
- Provides information about jazz history with links to jazz clubs and festivals. Also includes a gallery of jazz posters.
The Jazz Archive
- Jazz archive, photos, and vintage records are displayed. A historic jazz calendar is included.
- Tom Morgan offers lavishly illustrated profiles of early 20th century performers along with links to books, a timeline from 1800 to 1930, and images of early sheet music including a year-by-year collection of Cotton Club Parades.
Jazz, Hot and Cold
- Essay by librettist Arnold Sundgaard on jazz history as originally published June, 1955 in the Atlantic Monthly.
- Documentation on the jazz standards including their origins, histories, musical analyses, song-writer and performer biographies, book reviews, and CD recommendations.
Kansas City Jazz
- Loose collection of pages devoted to Count Basie, Jay McShann, Charlie Parker, Don Byas, and Bennie Moten, with a page for the modern Basie band under Grover Mitchell. Photos, link to ring.
The Los Angeles Jazz Institute
- Houses and maintains one of the largest jazz archives in the world. All styles and eras are represented with special emphasis on preservation and documentation of jazz in southern California.
Mars Club of Paris
- Internationally known jazz club where many Americans gathered to play in the 1950s. Features photograph of a door inscribed with the names of musicians who appeared at the club, and memories of Billy Strayhorn.
Modern Jazz Discography
- Catalog of recordings released by Blue Note, Prestige and Riverside Records, sorted by musician, label and date. Session indexes, biographical notes, links.
Music and You Jazz History
- This is a brief historical essay on the history of Creoles in New Orleans, and their influence on Jazz
The Norwegian Jazz Base
- A history of jazz in Norway. Includes photographs, sound clips, jazz links and biographies.
A Passion for Jazz
- History of styles and musicians with timeline, glossary, photos, festivals, teacher locator, and shopping for fakebooks and instruction books.
The Real Godfathers of Punk
- E-zine article by Billy Bob Hargus connecting jazz artists auch as Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman with the roots of punk music. Links, photographs.
- An encyclopedia of big band, classic jazz, and lounge music.
Swing Music Net
- The history of swing music from the 1930's until today.
What is Jazz?
- Four lectures on jazz history by Dr. Billy Taylor.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 14, 2013 at 23:05:04 UTC -