the entire directory
only in Early_Music/Instruments
Open Directory - Arts: Music: Styles: E: Early Music: Instruments
Pipe and Tabor
Viola da Gamba
Arts: Music: Instruments
This category in other languages:
Bate Collection of Musical Instruments
- An extensive and systematic collection of European orchestral woodwind instruments donated to the University of Oxford by Philip Bate.
- A list of bass and contrabass instruments, past and present.
Culturekiosque Klassiknet: Baroque Instruments
- A dictionary to provide the music lover with a reasonable amount of information about period instruments.
Curtal, Dulcian, Bajón: A History of the Precursor to the Bassoon
- A book by Maggie Kilbey charting the history and development of the instrument and includes a catalogue of extant instruments around the world.
Diabolus in Musica Guide to Early Instruments
- Information on as many early instruments as possible.
- A description of the Dulcian or Curtal, which is the Renaissance predecessor of the bassoon.
Early Music Vincent Ho
- Early music and instruments, sound files of harpsichords and clavichords, and a table with pictures of the author's early music instruments collection, from medieval psalteries to Renaissance recorders.
Edinburgh University Collection of Historic Musical Instruments
- A museum in Scotland open to the public contains 1000 items including stringed, woodwind, brass and percussion instruments from Britain, Europe, and distant lands.
Instruments to Play Medieval Music
- Pictures of medieval instruments with illustrations from medieval art. Includes audio clips, bibliography and discography in French.
John's Music Things
- Description of medieval singing techniques and the musical instruments he plays.
Joëlle Morton's Historical Bass
- The history of bass string instruments such as the viola da gamba, violone, and double bass, along with their performance practices and iconography.
- Information about lute, guitar and early keyboards.
Kim Christensen's Music Museum
- Private collection of music instruments with pictures, sound samples, history, and functional description.
Lars' Baroque Flute Corner
- Information on the Baroque flute, including instrument care and fingering charts.
Links to History of Musical Instruments
- Includes links to museums and collections, historical guides, historical sources and facsimiles, societies, individual instruments, and world instruments.
Lute-Harpsichord: A Forgotten Instrument
- Bach sought, and had custom-built, a harpsichord which sounded like a lute. Detailed description of history and construction.
Mary Rasmussen's Horn and Lute Iconography
- Iconography of the horn, lute, pipe and tabor, and tambourine in Western-European Art.
Medieval and Renaissance Instruments
- Musica Antiqua's illustrated guide: pictures, descriptions, and history.
National Music Museum
- Founded as an academic support unit of The University of South Dakota, this collection includes more than 10,000 American, European, and non-Western instruments from virtually all cultures and historical periods.
- Musicological analysis by Bob Fink of the oldest musical instrument, including its significance to the origin of music.
- Wind instrument ensembles in Italy from 1450 to 1620 by Brenda Flynn.
- Origin and history of the rebec, construction, playing, tuning, bibliography, and many illustrations.
Renaissance Cittern Page
- Information on its history, articles, art, music, recordings, players, composers, and builders.
The Saxon Lyre
- History, construction, and playing techniques.
Stages in Evolution of Scales, Melody and Harmony
- Paper about the stages in the origins of music and its development.
Tapia's Gold - Instruments of the Renaissance
- Descriptions of instruments used for dance music during the Renaissance, illustrated with period drawings.
- Early music in various manifestations by Mark W Venn, including handmade Renaissance woodwind instruments, Cotswold Early Music Festival (formerly the Cirencester Early Music Festival), and the "Mozart" music software.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 8, 2012 at 10:15:03 UTC -