become an editor
the entire directory
only in Old_English/Dictionaries
- "An Anglo-Saxon Dictionary" by Joseph Bosworth, edited and enlarged by T. N. Toller. Each page of the main volume and supplement volume is available in HTML, TIFF, and PNG formats.
- A fully searchable version of the dictionary.
Concise Old English Dictionary
- John R. Clark Hall's "A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary," second edition. Each page of the original is available in HTML, PNG, and TIFF formats.
Dictionary of Old English Plant Names
- Online dictionary of Old English plant names and botanical terms. Work in progress.
Dictionary of Old English Project at the University of Toronto
- Explains the purpose of the dictionary and the methods used to build it. Includes descriptions of DOE publications and research tools, yearly progress reports, and links to other dictionaries, projects, and resources.
Dictionary of Old English: Sample Entry
- Explains in depth the ten fields of information that can appear in a DOE entry, and gives a sample entry that exemplifies these fields.
Dictionary of Old English: Word of the Week
- Shows the complete DOE entry for a new word each week.
Electronic Application of an Anglo-Saxon Dictionary
- An electronic version of the Bosworth-Toller Dictionary with extensive search capabilities. Application must be downloaded before it can be used.
EOW Old English Translator
- Online tool that translates single Old English words to their modern English equivalents, and vice versa. The tool is named Englisc Onstigende Wordbōc or EOW.
Learning with the Online Thesaurus of Old English
- Shows how to use the Thesaurus of Old English. Contains 14 learning units: four introductory essays and ten interactive sessions.
Modern English to Old English Vocabulary
- Extensive list of modern English words with their Old English equivalents.
Old English Flash Cards
- 1500 Old English words with their modern English equivalents. [PDF]
Old English in the OED
- Explains the treatment of Old English words and quotations in the Oxford English Dictionary. By Anthony Esposito of the OED.
Old English Introductory Glossary
- Contains over one hundred basic Old English words with their modern English equivalents.
- Gives modern English equivalents of Old English words.
Online Etymology Dictionary
- Enables lookup of etymologies of more than 30,000 modern English words. Useful for determining whether a modern English word is descended from Old English.
Thesaurus of Old English
- Online thesaurus that provides Old English word searches, modern English word searches, browse searches, phrase searches, and searches on flags indicating restricted occurrence.
Variant Word and Phrase Search Engine
- Online tool that facilitates searching the entire Old English corpus for variant spellings of an Old English word or phrase. From the Dictionary of Old English Project.
WordGumbo: Old English
- Contains both an Old English to modern English lexicon and a modern English to Old English lexicon.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 19, 2014 at 22:42:18 UTC -