the entire directory
only in British/Old_English
Individual Prose Works
Arts: Literature: World Literature: British: Middle English
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: Society and Culture: History: Anglo-Saxon
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Periods and Cultures: Medieval: Anglo-Saxon
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Languages: Natural: Indo-European: Germanic: English: Old English
Alphabetical Index to Old English Poetry
- An alphabetized list of links to the complete texts of all Anglo-Saxon poems.
- Contains sound recordings of all Old English poems and selected prose works. By Michael Drout.
- Anglo-Saxon section of the Internet Medieval Sourcebook. Includes modern English translations of Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Latin texts.
- A history of Anglo-Saxon England by Grant Allen. Project Gutenberg eBook.
- Catholic Encyclopedia article on the role of the Church in Anglo-Saxon life. Covers the Anglo-Saxon occupation of Britain, the conversion of the Anglo-Saxons, papal authority, ecclesiastical organization and observances, missions, and the religious basis of Anglo-Saxon art and literature.
- Anglo-Saxon section of the NetSERF medieval site. Includes subsections on Anglo-Saxon civlization, art, archaeology, laws, and chronicles.
Anglo-Saxon England: a Guide to Online Resources
- Anglo-Saxon section of ORB: the Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies. Offers resources for Anglo-Saxon studies: essays, bibliographies, images, electronic editions, and links.
- A history and study of Old English literature by John Earle, Rawlinson Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford University. Project Gutenberg eBook.
- Article on Old English literature from the Columbia Encyclopedia.
Anglo-Saxon Narrative Poetry Project
- Provides modern English translations of Old English poems. By Aaron Hostetter. Work in progress.
Brief History of Anglo-Saxon England
- A short survey of Anglo-Saxon history by Ben Levick and Andrew Nicholson. Includes illustrations.
Cambridge History of English and American Literature: Old English Period
- Volume 1, Chapters 1-7. Covers every aspect of Old English literature, including discussions of important poems and prose works and accounts of individual authors.
Complete Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Poetry
- Contains the complete texts of all Anglo-Saxon poems. At the Internet Sacred Text Archive.
- Historical society's site covers various aspects of Anglo-Saxon studies. The online community area provides discussion forums, news, announcements, articles, and book reviews. Other pages include sound recordings of Old English poetry, a bibliography, an excerpt from an Old English course, and studies of the Anglo-Saxon calendar, ornithology, and runes.
- Aims to identify all written sources which were incorporated, quoted, translated or adapted anywhere in English or Latin texts written by Anglo-Saxon authors. Database includes search engine.
Glossed Texts at University of Calgary
- Includes a number of Old English poems and prose excerpts with glossaries. Text and glossary appear in different frames. Each word of text is hot-linked to a corresponding glossary entry. Site also provides links to electronic editions of other poems and prose.
Glossed texts in Old English Aerobics.
- An anthology of Old English poems and prose. Each word of the Old English text is linked to a Modern English definition. A registration step is required before you can access most of the glossed texts.
Glossed Texts in the Old English Reader
- Includes several Old English poems and prose works. Each word in the Old English text is linked to a corresponding Modern English definition.
Heroic Age: Anglo-Saxon Links
- Index to Anglo-Saxon studies. Provides extensive links to Anglo-Saxon biblical materials, Anglo-Saxon Christianity, archaeology, art, bibliographies, journals, Old English language, literary texts, translations, and manuscripts. Site also provides links to other early medieval categories and displays current and back issues of "The Heroic Age" online journal.
In Parentheses Old English Series
- Includes modern English translations of several Old English poems and selected prose works.
- Provides extensively cataloged descriptions of sites containing Old English texts, translations, studies, projects, and resources. Searches on "Old English" (in quotes) or "Anglo Saxon" (in quotes and without a hyphen) return large numbers of records. The title in each record is hot-linked to the corresponding site.
Labyrinth: Old English
- An annotated list of links to electronic texts and to online resources for Anglo-Saxon studies.
Lightspill Poetry: from the Old English
- Jonathan Glenn's modern English translations of selected Old English poems.
- Anthology of Old English poems in modern English translations.
- The Old English Newsletter. Includes news, notices of publications, reports, and essays from the current issue and back issues. Also provides links to Internet sites for Anglo-Saxon studies.
- Offers news related to Old English, a dictionary, and an annotated list of links to Old English texts, translations, and online resources.
Old English Links
- Provides links to electronic texts, dictionaries, and grammars and to books and articles on Old English.
Old English Literature: a Hypertext Course Pack
- Provides hypertext editions of selected poems and prose works. Apparatus includes primary texts with running glossary and notes, reading lists, modern English translations, contextual information, and electronic resources.
Old English Poems
- James Garnett's modern English translations of selected poems.
Old English Poems Translated Into The Original Meter Together With Short Selections From Old English Prose
- Modern English renditions by Cosette Faust Newton and Stith Thompson: e-text in various formats at Project Gutenberg.
Old English Resources
- Carl Berkhout's site at the University of Arizona provides images of Anglo-Saxon manuscripts, a record of Anglo-Saxon scholars and scholarship past and present, and links to other Old English sites.
Old English Texts and Translations at Brindin Press
- Contains several Old English poems and poetic excerpts, each with a facing modern English translation.
Online Corpus of Old English Poetry
- Includes texts of all Old English poems. When the project is complete, each text will include a word-for-word glossary and textual notes.
Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England (PASE)
- A searchable database of all recorded people who lived during the Anglo-Saxon period. The database supplies personal information about each historical person. In addition to searching by person, one can search by several other indexes such as sources, events, and relationships.
Readings of Old English Texts
- Sound recordings of selected texts. Includes videos, Old English texts, and modern English translations.
Readings of Old English Texts
- Sound recordings of selected prose and poetry. Includes Old English texts and modern English translations.
Sound Recordings of Old English Texts
- Sound recordings of passages from Old English prose and poetry. Each recording is accompanied by the Old English text.
Sources of Anglo-Saxon Literary Culture (SASLC)
- Contains entries for all authors known to the Anglo-Saxons. Each entry describes the author's life, works, and influence on Anglo-Saxon writers.
Supplemental Texts at heorot.dk
- Benjamin Slade's Beowulf site provides texts and translations of several Old English poems and prose works.
Timeline of Anglo Saxon England
- Summarizes historical events in the Anglo-Saxon period in chronological order.
- Home page of Teachers of Old English in Britain and Ireland. Contains organizational news, a set of frequently asked questions about Old English, and lists of resources for learning Old English and studying Old English literature.
Uncovering Old English Texts
- Online translations by undergraduates at Baldwin-Wallace College. Each translation is accompanied by a preface that gives background information about the poem or prose work being translated.
Voice of the Shuttle
- Provides extensive resources for the study of Old English and Middle English literature.
- Collection of freely reusable resources for learning and teaching Anglo-Saxon literature, language, history, archaeology, and other facets of the Anglo-Saxon period. Includes photographs, texts, presentations, databases, and course material. At Oxford University.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 28, 2014 at 6:35:12 UTC -