become an editor
the entire directory
only in Poetry/Organizations
Open Directory - Arts: Literature: Poetry: Organizations
For Poetry Writers
This category in other languages:
- Poets House is a literary center and poetry archive - a collection and meeting place that invites poets and the public to join the living tradition of poetry.
Albany Poets, Inc.
- A membership organization in Albany, NY, organized to promote poetry, poets, and the local community. The site offers a calendar of events and other information for the Albany poetry community, calls for submissions to be featured on the Web site, poetry tutorials, and a BBS.
Atlantic Region of the Canadian Poetry Association
- For the advancement of poetry. Poetry, how to start a poetry chapter, news about contests, submission page, and people's bookshop. International members welcomed.
Australian Poetic Society
- Information regarding publishers and their guidelines, suggestions for submitting a manuscript, a glossary of poetic terms, a message board online publication and membership information.
Cave Canem Black Poetry Workshop Retreat
- A writer's center with a focus on African American poets and writers. Information about the organization's annual writing workshop, regional workshops, and readings, featured poems, Cave Canem Prize, and faculty.
Connecticut Poetry Society
- Statewide membership association that sponsors five poetry contests annually, publishes a national journal and a members-only anthology, conducts critique groups, workshops, readings, and lectures. Membership open to non Ct. residents.
Cross Way Publications
- A forum Christian Poets, the site showcases Christianpoetry and hosts a semi-annual poetry contest.
- The annual poetry festival in West Texas features local, area, and international poets and musicians. Details about upcoming and past fests, including workshops, contests and more, are available on site.
- A nonprofit, independent literary center in San Antonio, Texas. Provides university and master level classes; discounted to members. Produces performance poetry productions and readings open to the public at no charge.
Georgia Poetry Society
- Official website for the Georgia Poetry Society. Features membership, contest and events information, and member news, meeting schedules, publications and online publication of member poetry.
Ghent Poetry Cafe
- Includes an introduction to the poetry group, an e-mailing list, message board, information about the group's publications and several links to other local poetry-related sites in the Hampton Roads, VA area.
Missouri State Poetry Society
- Affiliation, membership, state convention, contest information, and newsletter available on site. The society is represented through chapters across the state, and publishes an annual anthology of member poems.
- Community-based organization established to promote the Spoken Word in the San Francisco Bay Area through publications, Open Mikes and Slams.
New Belfast Community Arts Initiative
- A coalition of public arts organizations that includes Poetry in Motion for Belfast Citybus. Information about its member organization's poetry and arts projects.
Open Art Space Poetry Center
- This site has an online poetry reading room that offers poems written by member poets whose work was accepted by the staff.
PEN American Center
- Organization works to defend freedom of expression and resist censorship worldwide, promotes reading, forums, literary awards, PEN America (Journal), ethnic minorities outreach, prison writing program, writers fund for professional literary writers facing financial crisis, promotes translation into English, panels, readings, and forums for children's book authors.
Poetry Center and American Poetry Archives
- Operated by the Creative Writing Department at San Francisco State University. Offers expansive archives of audio and videotaped recordings, and readings series by acclaimed poets and writers.
Poetry Society of America
- Non-profit organization devoted to fostering and promoting poetry in US. Excerpts from Crossroads (official journal), sponsored events and information about chapbook contest available online.
Poetry Society of Texas
- Founded to promote public recognition of the art of poetry, and encourage writing of poetry by Texans. Offers outreach program, education and publication opportunities, fellowship and support to members. Information about membership, events, programs and contests available to members and the public.
- Hosts monthly workshops, sponsors readings, publishes an annual journal, The Eleventh Muse, and conducts a national chapbook competition.
Poetry in the Arts, Inc.
- Non-profit promoter of poetry, poets and writers and literary resources, and publisher. Includes calendar of events, newsletter, resources meta index, information about membership and poetry journal, Ardent.
- The Poetry Foundation, publisher of Poetry magazine, is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in American culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience.
Random Poetry Society
- A secret society of poets involved in creating randomness throughout the world. Membership and activities are kept confidential, but anyone who wishes to may join.
Spoken Word of Tulsa
- Nonprofit organization formed to develop a collaborative atmosphere fostering professional mentorship and advancement of regional artists in conjunction with the spoken word. Calendar of spoken word events in Tulsa, OK. Emphasis on slam poetry.
- Non-profit organization that produces programming for television and educational videos. Includes program schedule, history, people and information about available DVDs.
The Academy of American Poets
- An organization with a national membership that supports American poets at all stages of their careers. Provides an information database on recognized contemporary poets, their educational and promotional programs, and events.
The Austin Poetry Society
- Local affiliate of the Poetry Society of Texas and National Federation of State Poetry Societies. Calendar, membership, contest, programs, newsletter and outreach information available on site.
The Internet Poets' Cooperative
- The Internet Poets' Cooperative is a nonprofit, e-publishing service. Features self-published paperbacks, our exclusive print and listen e-books, audio recordings of original work, a free-forum, and a free-add-a-link page.
The Kent and Sussex Poetry Society
- Information about the Society's open poetry competition, monthly poetry readings, workshops, retreats and other events.
The National Association for Poetry Therapy
- Information about poetry as therapy, the Poetry Therapy Foundation, membership, training and education, informative publications, and national legislation affecting poetry therapists.
The National Federation of State Poetry Societies
- The society works independently of, and with member state poetry societies to promote poetry and poets. The site content provides information about state poetry societies, society sponsored poetry competition, and programs and events.
The Poetry Center of Chicago
- Organization that offers reading series and sponsors an inner city poetry program. Includes program details, event dates and membership information.
The Poetry Library at the Royal Festival Hall
- Searchable database of its holdings, and poetrymagazines.org.uk, a full-text database for UK poetry magazines of the 20th and 21st centuries, its education programme, publishers, competitions and advice for young poets.
The Poetry Society of Virginia
- Encourages excellence in the writing and appreciation of poetry by sponsoring writing contests, reading contests, workshops, open readings and guest readers at meetings throughout the state.
The Saturday Poets
- A nonprofit organization in San Mateo, CA, that focuses on contemporary free verse. Sponsors readings and workshops in the San Francisco Bay Area. See site for events calendar and information on pending release of journal and publication information.
Utmost Christian Writers
- A nonprofit organization that offers support, encouragement and resources specific to poets, contests (many free of charge), market lists and instructional articles. Focus is on Christian poetry.
- A literary center that offers live readings, classes, workshops, educational programs, panels, salons, forums, outreach programs and special events. Publishes ¡TEX!, a journal of contemporary literature.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:39:17 AM EDT -