become an editor
the entire directory
only in Graphic_Design/History
Arts: Art History
Arts: Art History: Art Historians
Arts: Art History: Periods and Movements
Kids and Teens: Arts: Graphic Design: History
Recreation: Antiques: Posters
Recreation: Collecting: Advertising Collectibles: Signs
Shopping: Antiques and Collectibles: Advertising Collectibles
Shopping: Antiques and Collectibles: Ephemera
American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Design Archives
- Browse, search and view selections from a contemporary collection of thousands of design pieces which have been awarded recognition or honored by the AIGA.
About: Graphic Design: History
- View condensed timelines spanning tens of thousands of years, from the first known visual communication to the computer age of today.
April Greiman: Made in Space
- Visit the home page of this pioneering woman who helped introduce the computer vernacular to design through experimental mergers of type and image.
Art of Persuasion
- Read a critical analysis of American advertising and design during the early 20th century. View samples.
Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND): The CND Logo
- Read an essay about the history behind the peace symbol, designed in 1958 by Gerald Holtom.
Colophon Page: The Italian Futurist Book
- View an exhibition showcasing Futurism's innovative uses of typography from 1909-1944.
Design Archive Online
- Review twentieth century magazine design and photography with biographical profiles of designers. A project of the Rochester Institute of Technology, the image archives have limited access.
Design History Society
- The Society promotes and supports the study of design history. Its activities include the publication of a journal and newsletter, an annual conference, management of a discussion list, grants and prizes for research, and awards for events.
- View the home page of Lincoln Cushing, Cuban poster artist, with his collections of oppositional visual art, political propaganda, and related writings.
- View a compilation of popular logos and their design elements.
Flickr: Photos from Alki1
- View personal image collections from a contributor. Sets of images range from American and Bauhaus to Russian Constructivist and Swiss International design.
Graphic Design from the 1920s and 1930s in Travel Ephemera
- View an international collection of travel brochures, airline and ocean liner time-tables, auto road maps, luggage labels, advertising and publications.
History of Graphic Design
- View examples and read background on graphic design milestones. Includes photos, videos, chronology and references.
Moore College of Art & Design: Graphic Design History
- View lectures and coursework based on Phillip Meggs' textbooks.
Museum of Modern Art: Aleksandr Rodchenko
- The Museum of Modern Art in New York presents the history and work of one of the leading Russian artists in the period following the Revolution of October 1917.
National Academic Mailing List Service: Design History
- Text-based forum for design issues, local information, and reviews by the Design History Society in the United Kingdom.
National Library of Australia: Follow the Sun
- View a collection of 1930s to 1950s Australian travel posters. Browse images by destination, symbol, style, or artist.
Parkland College: GDS 131 Graphic Design History
- Review an online course given by Parkland College's Fine and Applied Arts Department in Champaign, Illinois.
- Explore the graphic and illustrative work of Seymour Chwast, one of the founding members of the iconic Push Pin Studios in 1954, along with Milton Glaser and Edward Sorel.
Remember Those Great Volkswagen Ads?
- Profile of book which is a compilation of Volkswagen's press, radio and television campaigns.
Salon: Tibor Kalman
- The obituary of this innovative designer, best known for the work he created with his New York design firm and his brief editorship of Colors magazine.
Smithsonian American Art Museum: Posters American Style
- View major posters from the last century. Learn about their design, printing and historical impact on culture. Includes audio.
Typotheque: Articles: Design History
- Browse a variety of articles from authors such as Ellen Lupton and Steven Heller, collected by this type foundry based in The Hague, the Netherlands.
- Read about the formation, success and eventual decline of the design firm founded by Ralph Eckerstrom, former design director for Container Corporation of America, and Massimo Vignelli.
University of Florida: Graphic Design: Typography
- Examine typographic specimens in book designs from the 15th to 20th centuries. From the Rare Book Collection of the Department of Special Collections.
- Read about the history, literature and design characteristics of this anti-art cultural movement that grew from World War II to 1920.
Wikipedia: El Lissitzky
- Read about the life and works of this Russian avant-gardist who helped develop Suprematism and influenced architecture, literature, art, photography and design.
Wikipedia: Graphic Design
- Read an account of early and modern graphic design history in this encyclopedia article. View sample images.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 11, 2014 at 4:41:39 UTC -