become an editor
the entire directory
only in Crafts/String_Figures
Open Directory - Arts: Crafts: String Figures
International String Figure Association
- The ISFA works to gather, preserve, and distribute string figure knowledge for future generations to enjoy this ancient pastime. They have a list of publications, an invitation to become a member, a mailing list, and links to related web sites. Of particular interest are the detailed instructions for making figures collected in 1924 by Diamond Jenness in the Canadian Arctic.
The Mathematics and Origin of String Figures
- Trivial knot theory, history, and a few new designs by the author, Martin Probert.
Me Human, You Alien
- How to talk to an extraterrestrial, using a handful of coins, a loop of string, a flashlight, and two magnets. This is an excerpt from a book entitled "The Handbook of UFO Contact" by Jonathan Vos Post.
- Brian Cox, the Incredible Stringman, tells a story called "Going Fishing" illustrated with string figures. Photos and text of his performance.
String Figures and Shamanism
- An essay by Lois Stokes, with speculations on the role of string figures in Hawaiian culture.
Strings On Your Fingers
- Michael P. Garofalo does presentations on string figures art, and performances of string figures, catches, and tricks in Northern California and Southern Oregon. Includes a recommended reading list and bibliography for string figures.
WWW Collection of Favorite String Figures
- Instructions using string figure notation and prose descriptions, along with diagrams and some video clips. Features twelve beginner-level figures, followed by others of increasing difficulty, and a directory of performers.
Yahoo! Groups Stringfigures
- Registered members of this group are interested in describing and illustrating string figures for publication on the web at WWW Collection of Favorite String Figures. They are also developing a system of string figure notation (SFN).
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, January 2, 2007 9:28:13 PM EST -