become an editor
the entire directory
only in Resources/Research_and_Academia
Research and Academia
Open Directory - Arts: Comics: Resources: Research and Academia
Australian DC Comics Reprint Gallery
- Documents Australian DC Comic reprints from the 1940s to 1980s by Colour Comics, Planet Comics, Murray Comics, Federal Comics and Australian Edition DC.
BGSU Popular Culture Library
- Founded in 1969 to support innovative teaching and research in cultural studies. It is the largest and most comprehensive research facility in the United States dedicated exclusively to the acquisition and preservation of primary research materials on 19th and 20th century American popular culture.
The Big Comic Book DataBase
- Searchable database of comic book check lists, creator information and comic book publishers.
BZZURKK! - The Thesaurus of Champions
- Thesaurus of comic book onomatopaea. Starting from the sound, this site lists the different words used to express it. By Kevin Taylor.
Camelot In Four Colors
- A survey of the Arthurian legend in comic books and strips
Comic Art & Graffix Gallery Virtual Museum & Encyclopedia
- Offers a chronological and pictorial history of the medium, biographies of creators and publishers, and a gallery of comic book art.
Comics 1 - Fine Arts 0 : The Site
- This site presents the American scientist Roger Franck Black's notebook, in which he tries to prove that fine art is derived from comics, and not vice versa. A very nice piece by Laurent Bourrouilhou
The Comics Archives
- Several check lists and reference files on golden and silver age comics published by Marvel and DC.
COMIXSCHL-LIST Home Page
- The comics scholars' discussion list, serves as an academic forum for those involved in research, criticism and teaching related to comics art.
Fredric Wertham: Anti-Comics Crusader Who Turned Advocate
- A page about the famous American psychiatrist who believed comic books inspired young people to commit crime, and who later became a comic book fan himself.
Grand Comic Book Database
- Indexing every comic book ever made from all over the world. Online searchable database and email chat.
Index of syndicated comic strips, 1924-95
- Comprehensive print-based index of all newspaper comic strips syndicated between 1924 and 1995; more than 4300 strips. Also includes list 3700 artists, and the strips they worked on.
- The official website for Manga historian and scholar Frederick L. Schodt, with the latest news on all of his projects, and interviews with creators.
Ka-boom! - A Dictionary of Comicbook Words on Historical Principles
- An alphabetical list of all the words that are typical for comic books (onomatopaea, e.a.), with variants and locations. Compiled by Kevin Taylor.
Lambiek Comiclopedia of Artists
- Illustrated encyclopedia of over 9,000 international comic artists with biographies and artwork examples.
Myths, Misinterpretations, and Misconceptions: Censorship in Comics
- Debates the arguments of Fredric Wertham - the psychiatrist, who believed comic books prompted delinquency in juveniles.
- Homepage for R. C. Harvey, author of "The Art of the Funnies" and "The Art of the Comic Book". With information on both books and columns about comics and strips in general.
the Wally Wood letters
- Correspondence between John Hitchcock and the great comic book artist Wally Wood in the last years of his life. 18 letters, annotated by Hitchcock.
Research and Academia
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 1, 2012 at 7:54:05 UTC -