the entire directory
only in Art_History/Artists
Arts: Architecture: History: Architects
Arts: Graphic Design: Graphic Designers
Arts: Illustration: Historic Illustrators
Arts: Photography: Photographers: Masters
Arts: Visual Arts: Painting: Painters
Arts: Visual Arts: Sculpture: History: Sculptors
Kids and Teens: People and Society: Biography: Artists
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Visual Arts: Artists
This category in other languages:
- Learn about the contemporary Polish sculptor and the 'Abakanowicz on the Roof' exhibit displayed at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1999.
Alvin, John (1948—2008)
- An American movie campaign artist and painter. Includes biography, credits and portfolio.
Antoine, Otto (1865-1951)
- Features several paintings of the "painter of Berlin".
- Virtual exhibition featuring the works of the 19th century British Victorian artist who specialized in dog paintings. Includes a short biography on the artist and a selection of high resolution images.
Avery, Milton (1885-1965)
- Brief biography of the modernist painter who combined abstraction and representational forms in colorful paintings and prints.
- Internationally renowned artist specializing in polo art but painting a wide variety of equine art subjects.
Barry, Sir Francis
- British Post-Impressionist. Biography and gallery of paintings.
- Displays the works of one of the Swedish masters of Neo-impressionism and Cézanne-style cubism. [English and French]
Benoist, Marie-Guilhelmine - NCAW
- James Smalls' scholarly article Slavery is a Woman: "Race," Gender, and Visuality in Marie Benoist's Portrait d'une négresse (1800).
Bloom, Hyman (1913-2009)
- Educational site about the work and life of Boston artist Hyman Bloom. Bloom was a highly regarded artist whom Pollack and De Kooning considered to be America’s first abstract expressionist.
Bluhm, Norman (1921-1999)
- American Abstract Expressionist painter. Biography, reproductions, exhibitions, essays, chronology, bibliography and publications.
Boddington, Henry John
- Biographical information on the Victorian landscape artist (1811-1865). Site also includes a selection of high-resolution images of his work.
Bogart, George A (1933-2005)
- Abstract painter and professor of art at the University of Oklahoma. Includes biography and portfolio.
- The official site concerning the life and work of the 20th century visual artist.
Brewster, Anna Richards
- Early 20th century Impressionist style. Includes biography, excerpts from her letters, and sample gallery of her works.
- Includes a selection of paintings depicting domestic Victorian scenes often involving children at play, biographical information and resources on Victorian art.
Brownscombe, Jennie Augusta
- Information on the American painter, presented by the National Museum of Women in the Arts. Includes a brief biographical sketch of Brownscombe, a selected bibliography of related monographs and articles, and the image of "Love's Young Dream."
- Document describing the life and art of the Italian-American artist.
Brunelleschi, Filippo (1377 - 1446)
- Brief introduction to the life of the Florentine Renaissance architect, sculptor and painter.
Bulman, Orville (1905-1978)
- Information about the American artist including a biography, details about buying and selling his work, and images of his paintings.
- Biographical information and a selection of images for this leading artist of the Modernism movement.
Butler, Theodore Earl - Catalogue Raisonne
- This project is done with the collaboration and support of the descendant of artists' family.
Cappiello, Leonetto (1875 - 1942)
- Life and work of the Italian artist and caricaturist.
- Virtual gallery archives of the art works of this Canadian painter. Original oil paintings, reproductions and biographical information.
Carroll, Frank (1932-2010)
- An oil painter from Massachusetts whose talent to work with a variety of subjects made his art appealing to all ages. Includes biography and portfolio.
Casson, Alfred Joseph
- Virtual gallery archives of the art works of this Canadian painter. Original oil paintings, reproductions and biographical information.
Cauchois, Eugene Henri (1850-1911)
- Virtual exhibition featuring the works of the French artist who specialized in still life paintings. Offers a short biography and a selection of high resolution images.
Cavailles, Jules (1901 - 1977)
- Information about the life and works of the French poetic realist painter Jules Cavailles.
Cazin, Jean Charles (1841-1901)
- One of the more intriguing and influential artists of the 19th century French Realist movement. This virtual exhibition includes a detailed biography, high-resolution images, listing of museums and bibliography.
Chatterton, Clarence Kerr (1880-1973)
- Offering information on the life and work of the American artist.
Committee Mark Tobey
- Detailed information on the American abstract expressionist painter and the committee of experts supporting his art.
Coolidge, Cassius (1844-1934)
- A biography on the artist Cassius Coolidge, who create the famous dogs playing poker series of paintings.
Crowe, Eyre A.R.A. (1824-1910)
- An appreciation of the life and artwork of the British painter of historical and genre works, and friend of William Makepeace Thackeray.
De Breanski, Jr., Alfred
- The peaceful and colorful gardens of England were among the locations he drew inspiration from. Site features an updated biography on this British Victorian artist and a number of high-resolution images.
- Russian artist. Biography, gallery of paintings, drawings, posters and mosaics.
- The official site for the estate of the artist, provides a full biography and images of his works.
Eardley, Joan (1922-1963)
- Best known for her dramatic sea and landscapes of Scotland's east coast, and her unique vision of 1950s Glasgow.
Farnham, Sally James (1869-1943)
- Highlighting the life and work of American sculptor, best known for her heroic bronze commissions and detailed portrait work.
- An artist of the Bennington College Avant-Garde movement in the 1950s and 1960s.
Fortuny y Madrazo, Mariano
- Information about artist's life, inventions, paintings, and fabrics.
Frieseke, Frederick Carl
- Information on the artist and the current catalogue raisonné project.
Gallegos y Anosa, José (1857-1917)
- Information relating to the life and works of the Spanish artist. (Site in English and Spanish)
Giunta, Joseph (1911-2001)
- Canadian artist who created oil paintings, drawings, mixed media abstract assemblages and collage 3D art.
- View images of available artworks, biography, and exhibitions for this American artist.
Gubler, Max (1898-1973)
- Swiss painter featured in online gallery and biography.
Gégoux, Théodore (1850-1931)
- Artist who worked in New York, California, and Oregon. Specialized in portraits, seascapes, landscapes, florals, and still lifes. Also did sculptures and was a violinist, a violin teacher, and a violin maker.
Hall, Harry (1814-1882)
- This exhibition features images and a biography on the British Sporting artist working during the mid 19th century.
Hartley, Ben (1933-1996)
- Biography of a British artist who painted in gouache on brown paper and was inspired by his deep love of the countryside.
Harvey, Harold (1874-1941)
- Biography and gallery towards the English artist.
Hassel Smith - Official Site
- This site is dedicated to the life and work of the artist Hassel Smith.
Herring, Jr., John F. (1820-1907)
- Informative biography and a selection of high-resolution images of Sporting paintings by the 19th century British artist.
Hitchcock, Harold (1914-2009)
- Official website of the English visionary landscape artist including galleries of paintings & drawings, biography & comprehensive references.
Hofhuizen, Willem 1915-1986
- Presents the life and work of the Dutch expressionist, including paintings, gouaches, sculptures, grafittos, and frescos.
Hofmann, Hans (1880-1966)
- Information on exhibitions, catalogue raisonne and a detailed biography.
Hyde, Frank (1849 - 1937)
- Biographical information on the British painter. Also included are images of the artist's work.
- Biography of French-Japanese artist Paul Jacoulet (1902-1960).
Jensen, Alfred (1903-1981)
- Biographical information and selection of images from this New York School artist.
- This feature explores the works on paper of the contemporary German artist. Included is a closer look at fourteen of those works and the themes and techniques used.
Knowles, George Sheridan (1863-1931)
- Biographical information and images of the works by the British Victorian artist. His sentimental genre paintings often capture his subjects in a relaxed, or playful, moment and are reminiscent of the works of Arthur John Elsley and Frederick Morgan (two of his contemporaries).
- A longterm survivor of MS who created over five hundred paintings in her lifetime holding the brush in her mouth.
- American Abstract Expressionist artist. Image gallery of his works and biography.
Kotlarevsky, Paul (1883-1950)
- Collection of works and a biography of the Russian artist exiled in Paris during WWI.
La Farge, John
- Provides information on one of his masterpiece "Wild Roses and Irises".
Larsson, Carl (1853 - 1919)
- Information about the Swedish artist's life and work, a gallery with a few of his paintings, and about his home in Sundborn, Dalarna, which today is a museum.
- Life and works, Symbolism and Liberty, Staglieno cemetery, style's evolution, angels.
- The first painter to King Louis XIV of France. Illustrations of paintings, drawings and decorations from the Old Master.
Lesur, Henry Victor
- Biographical information and images of paintings by French born highlife and genre painter who flourished from 1887-1900. A complete listing of works exhibited at the Paris Salon is included.
Lewis, John Frederick
- Bob Speel's biographical notes about the artist and his paintings.
Life of an Artist: Fra Bartolommeo
- Biography of the Florentine painter as recorded by Giorgio Vasari.
Lucas, Edwin (1911-1990)
- Featuring the surreal, figurative, abstract and landscape paintings in oil or watercolor by this Scottish artist. Includes biography and exhibition schedule.
Meinecke, Tristan (1916 -2004)
- Created both realistic and abstract paintings. Information and select works of this American artist.
Milde, Carl Julius (1803-1875)
- Short biography with focus on the artist's work with Lübeck's death dance.
Minio, Letizia (1932-2005)
- Biography, critique and portfolio of an Italian contemporary artist known for her figurative, landscape and underwater paintings. [English and Italian]
Muller, Archibald Herman (1878 - 1960)
- Realistic artist who was born of German parentage but lived and worked in India. Includes brief biography and examples of his work.
NCAW - Khnopff, Fernand
- Detailed review by Sura Levine on the artist's exhibition organized by the Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts de Belgique, Brussels. Images of the exhibition are included.
NCAW - Vollon, Antoine
- Carol Forman Tabler's article Antoine Vollon and His Smashing Pumpkin: On Media Hype and the Meanings of Still Life.
- American Abstract Expressionist artist. Gallery of works, biography, bibliography.
- English artist (1864-1920). Biography and a gallery of works.
- Biography of Japanese artist Koson Ohara (1877-1945).
Parker, Henry H. (1858-1930)
- Exhibition featuring the works of the British Victorian landscape artist Henry H. Parker. Includes a biography on Parker and a number of high-resolution images.
Ponzi, Ettore (1908-1992)
- Biography and portfolio of an Italian landscape and portrait painter. [English and Italian]
Rodrigo, Vicente Pascual (1955-2008)
- Biography, critique and portfolio of a contemporary Spanish painter. [English and Spanish]
- Theodore Rousseau [French Barbizon School Painter, 1812-1867] Guide to pictures of works by Theodore Rousseau in art museum sites and image archives worldwide.
- Biography on one of the founders of the Barbizon Movement. Also included is a picture of the artist.
Sample, Paul (1896 - 1973)
- Biographical information and images of this American 20th century landscape artist.
Schmidt, Peter (1931-1980)
- Dedicated to the life and legacy of the German born multimedia artist who emigrated to the UK in 1938. Includes biography and portfolio.
Smith, Tony (1941-2008)
- Portfolio and biography of a London born artist who focused on landscapes and human nature.
- Artist's biography, gallery of works, news.
Stubbs, Kenneth (1907-1967)
- Selected paintings and drawings ranging from abstract impressionism to classical drawing and Japanese brushwork by this American artist.
Theisen-Helm, Mary (1923-2003)
- Biography and portfolio of a Wisconsin painter who worked with a variety of styles and media.
- A brief biographical sketch and representations of the artist's works.
Tobey, Alton S
- Featuring the life, paintings and murals of an American realist. (1914-2005)
- Biography of Japanese artist (1835-1900) including images of his work.
- Comprehensive collection of more than 150 images of artist's works with biography, articles, bibliography and exhibition information.
Vernet, Claude Joseph
- Biographical information and paintings by the French master.
Von Wicht, John
- Biographical information and images on the American abstract artist John von Wicht.
Walters, Brian (1935-1999)
- Gallery of watercolours by the landscape painter and artist, artist's biography and obituary.
Wassmann, Johann Dieter (1841-1898)
- The Wassmann Foundation presents the life and work of the German artist.
West, Michael Corinne (1908-1991)
- Features the life and work of the abstract expressionist female painter.
The William Roberts Society
- Biographical and bibliographical information on the British artist with reproductions of some works and a list of his works in public collections.
- Kirkcudbright artist painted in Italy on the Island of Capri and later in Kirkcudbright, Scotland. The site details a collection of his paintings.
Wood, William Thomas (1877-1958)
- Biography and a selection of images regarding the British landscape and flower painter.
- Biography of Japanese woodblock print artist.
- Zalce's art has been exhibited throughout the world in his 92 years, and is part of the permanent collection of many worldwide museums including the Vatican. He is a versatile as a muralist, sculptor, and painter.
Zorach, William and Marguerite
- Biographies and collection of images and resources of American painter and sculptor.
- Biography and review of the artist's retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City (April 01, 2002)
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 25, 2014 at 23:24:16 UTC -