become an editor
the entire directory
only in Europe/United_Kingdom
Inns and Public Houses
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Architecture: Historic Buildings
Barley Hall, York
- This medieval oak-framed house has been carefully restored to the way it would have looked in the 1480s. Photographs, visitor information.
- An illustrated description and history of a historic old Lancashire farmhouse nestling among the Rossendale Hills in the West Pennines of northern England.
Medieval Peasant Houses
- Mainly in 14th-century England. Scholarly summary by Paul Gans of the Department of Chemistry, New York University, on his Medieval Technology Pages.
RCAHM Vernacular Architecture
- Outline of the Royal Commission for Ancient and Historic Monuments in Wales approach to the study of the traditional architecture of farmhouses, farm-buildings and cottages.
Ryedale Vernacular Building Materials Research Group
- A multi-disciplinary research group for those with an interest in the vernacular buildings of Ryedale, North Yorkshire, and in particular the building stones and source quarries. Membership, research, meetings, and bibliography.
Scottish Vernacular Buildings Working Group
- SVBWG provides a focus for people interested in the traditional buildings of Scotland. Illustrated description of its activities and events.
- A beginner's guide to the history and construction of medieval timber-framed houses in England and Wales by the owner of one. Examples, bibliography and glossary.
Yorkshire Vernacular Buildings Study Group
- Researches and records the vernacular architecture of Yorkshire, organises conferences, dayschools and walkabouts, and publishes newsheets and an annual journal.
Living Under a Medieval Field
- An article by John Letts in British Archaeology on the evidence of widespread survival of ancient thatch on vernacular buildings. History of thatching. (April 01, 2001)
Exploring the Round Houses of Doves
- An article on dovecotes by Klara Spandl in British Archaeology, with references and a list of dovecotes open to the public. (June 01, 1998)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 20, 2014 at 13:47:49 UTC -