become an editor
the entire directory
only in Periods_and_Styles/Gothic
Periods and Styles
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: History: Periods and Styles: Gothic
Arts: Art History: Periods and Movements: Medieval Art: Gothic Art
Society: History: By Time Period: Middle Ages
This category in other languages:
1200 Years of Italian Sculpture: Gothic
- Architectural details predominate in this collection of photographs from Thais.
The Age of Carpentry: The New Art and Society in Plantagent England
- In this lecture Christopher Currie argues that England excelled in Gothic structural carpentry. Text without illustrations.
Earthlore: Gothic Dreams
- A lively and illustrated introduction to the monumental churches and cathedrals of the Middle Ages, with a feature on Notre Dame de Paris.
European Route of Brick Gothic
- Project aiming to survey medieval buildings in brick in cities around the Baltic Sea and promote a thematic tourist route.
- An exploration and study of churches and cathedrals in the Gothic style. Features include: histories, study guides, glossaries and galleries.
Gothic Style Brick Buildings
- Information on structures in the Mecklenburg, Vorpommern region of Germany.
Gothic Valle d'Aosta, Italy
- Pure Gothic runs rampant in this section of the country thanks to strong German and French influence, seen in a half-dozen color photos from In Italy Online, with description and tourist information.
- Clickable thumbnails of photos and drawings illustrating Early Gothic with links to the High Gothic period, from the Digital Archive of Architecture.
Medieval Architecture: High Gothic
- Slides of major Gothic buildings from Jeffery Howe's Digital Archive of Architecture: Notre Dame, Chartres; Notre Dame, Amiens; St. Etienne, Bourges; Ste. Chapelle, Paris; Cologne Cathedral.
The Nature of Gothic
- An extract from John Ruskin's influential book "The Stones of Venice" (1851-3).
New York Carver
- A virtual Gothic cathedral project, featuring articles, photo galleries of Gothic architectural details and an illustrated glossary of terms. Image of the day, screensaver, newsletter, resources.
Sculpture for Buildings: Medieval Europe
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art uses its extensive collection to present an online tutorial.
St. Joseph Messenger: Architecture
- For young viewers...a concise answer to the question: What makes it Gothic?
Wikipedia: Gothic Architecture
- An illustrated description of the origins and characteristics of the style and its variants and revival. It includes a list of notable Gothic structures.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 25, 2012 at 11:35:04 UTC -