become an editor
the entire directory
only in Classical/Roman
Periods and Styles
Apollodorus of Damascus
Vitruvius Pollio, Marcus
Arts: Art History: Periods and Movements: Ancient Art: Roman
Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Rome
Ancient and Classical Architecture
- Howard Partridge provides a gallery of his photographs of buildings and ruins in Rome from c.179 BC to 141 AD. Part of the Cupola Collection.
Ancient Roman Architecture
- Great Buildings Online provides images and commentary on some of the best-known buildings of the Roman world.
- Comprehensive coverage by Andrea and Daniele Pepe and Catherine McElwee of the history and architecture of greatest amphitheatre of antiquity, built by the Flavian emperors in the first century AD.
- James Grout's collection of articles, plans and pictures of ancient Rome and its remains, with an extensive bibliography. Includes Vitruvius's comments on temple architecture.
- Photographs and description of the Forum Romanum, monument by monument, by René Seindal.
A Gazetteer of the Roman World
- This section of Bill Thayer's huge Lacus Curtius site provides many photographs of cities and monuments of the ancient Roman world, some with detailed commentary.
The Pompeian House
- Essay on the construction and decoration of the Pompeian House.
Pompeii Forum Project
- This study of the forum by the University of Virginia includes a photographic survey of its architecture and sensitive maps of Pompeii and its forum leading to 360-degree panoramas.
- Course notes by Dr. Franklin Toker of Pittsburgh University, providing an illustrated introduction and major works.
- An illustrated introduction to Roman columns and arches by Jordan Drew, with images of famous Roman buildings and the three main orders - Doric, Ionic and Corinthian.
- Essay on the design and functions of Roman Baths by J.K. Gillon.
Roman Domestic Architecture: A Bibliography
- This bibliography compiled by Joshua Brandt lists sources in German, Italian, French, and (primarily) English.
Rome: Ancient Sites
- Virtual reconstructions of the Theatre of Marcellus and Circus Maximus.
- An international project based at the University of Virginia, which aims to create a digital model illustrating the entire urban development of ancient Rome. Users can navigate the model or view still images.
The Ruins of Rome
- David Chaszar's photographs and descriptions of various ancient Roman ruins located in Rome and Ostia.
Temple Complex of Fortuna Primigenia in Palastrina
- Computer model of the temple complex built by Sulla, complete with walkthroughs. Also photographs of the existing remains.
- Tore Kjeilen provides a plan and brief description of the substantial remains of this Roman town in North Africa - a World Heritage Site. Photograph of Trajan's Arch.
- Paul Barrette's history, image database and discussion of this 100-foot marble sculptural monument built during the reign of Emperor Trajan (98-117 AD).
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 6, 2015 at 6:05:09 UTC -