become an editor
the entire directory
only in Building_Types/Theaters_and_Cinemas
Theaters and Cinemas
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Theaters and Cinemas
Balaban and Katz
Arts: Movies: Theaters
Arts: Music: Instruments: Keyboard: Organ: Theatre Organs
Arts: Performing Arts: Theatre: History
Business: Construction and Maintenance: Building Types: Theaters
Allen Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio
- Photographs of the movie theater built in 1921, from RineStock Studios.
American Picture Palaces
- Illustrated history by the University of Virginia of the extravagant buildings that sprang up in the inter-war years to house the movies. Includes socio-economic background, guide to Art Deco.
Aztec On The River Theatre
- A theater in San Antonio, Texas, opened in 1926 in a fantasy Meso-American style. Includes photographs and history.
Berkeley Playhouse, Berkeley, California
- Redwood building designed by architect Julia Morgan in 1908 as the St. John's Presbyterian Church. Brief description, photographs, plan.
The Cerrito Theater
- El Cerrito's historic theater with its Art Deco interior and murals is one of California's hidden treasures. History, photographs and progress on its restoration.
The Cinema Theatre Association
- Promotes the study of old cinemas in the UK. Archives, publications, events, links.
- Dedicated to saving classic movie theaters in the US. News, database, photographs, virtual tours and message boards. Also aims, founders, sponsors and volunteer staff of the web-site.
Drive In Theater
- The American phenomenon which began in the 1930s: open-air cinemas, viewed from automobiles. An illustrated history and list of theaters both operating and closed.
Grand Vision Foundation
- A non-profit organization to preserve and promote the Warner Grand Theater, an Art Deco movie palace in San Pedro, California. Includes a history of the theater, which opened in 1931.
Kilduff's Movie Theatre Survey
- A survey of movie theatres in Maryland built between 1900 and 1950. Photographs, building dates and descriptions.
The Michigan Theater
- Constructed in 1927 in Ann Arbour, Michigan, to the design of Detroit architect Maurice Finkel as a vaudeville and movie palace. The official site includes an illustrated history.
Movie House History: Classic Theaters of Kansas
- Paul Salley lists theaters, opera houses and drive-in theaters in Kansas, with some history. Banners.
Paramount Theatre, Oakland, California
- The official site offers photographs and a history (with source) of this extraordinary Art Deco theater. The 1930s movie palace was designed by San Francisco architect Timothy Pflueger.
- This 1928 cinema in Detroit was designed with a Japanese motif. Includes an illustrated history and details of its restoration by the Motor City Theatre Organ Society.
The Rex Cinema, Berkhamsted
- This Art Deco cinema in the UK, designed by David Nye in 1936, has been restored and re-opened. Includes photographs.
- A study of the former Saenger organization and its theaters, mainly in the US. A list, with illustrated histories of selected theaters, some now gone.
Scottish Surviving Cinemas and Theatres
- Historical archive of all surviving cinema buildings in Scotland and news on cinemas under threat of closure or demolition. A database with photographs and historical information on over 900 cinemas.
- This stylish site by Kjell Furberg, cinema historian and photographer, provides an architectural feast from the silent era onwards. English and Swedish language versions.
- Great Buildings Online provides photographs, details and bibliographies for a number of significant theaters of all periods across the world.
Theatre Historical Society of America
- Nonprofit educational organization dedicated to documenting and celebrating historic theatres of all types in the United States.
Theatre Royal, York, UK
- The official site includes a brief history of the theater built in 1744 and re-modelled in the 19th century.
- Features interactive walkthroughs of 3D models of present and past theatres, including those of ancient Greece and Rome. Requires Cosmo Player VRML Plug-in, Flash and Quicktime.
Theaters and Cinemas
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:05:06 AM EDT -