become an editor
the entire directory
only in Islamic/History
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Religious: Islamic: History
Dome of the Rock
Arts: Architecture: History: Periods and Styles: Islamic
Islamic Architecture Tutorial
- An on-line tutorial from San Jose State University focussed on the architecture of the Ottoman Empire, and other buildings with great significance in Islam, organized on a timeline.
- Tore Kjeilen explains the significance of the mosque to Muslims, its history, development and use, in an article for the Encyclopaedia of the Orient.
Mosque of Amr Ibn El-As
- The Egyptian Tourism Ministry provides an illustrated history and description of the oldest mosque in Egypt, founded in 642 AD and rebuilt several times subsequently.
- Great Buildings Online provides images and information on famous mosques in Turkey, Syria and North Africa.
Mosques Around the World
- IslamiCity presents photographs of outstanding mosques, both historic and modern, arranged by continent.
- Photographs and brief history of this mosque built in 1935 by Indian Muslim traders.
Sinan Mosques in Istanbul
- Chuck Newman's photographs of his tour around the mosques designed by the famed 16th-century architect.
Wikipedia: Great Mosque of Djenné
- Information on the world's largest mud-brick building, in Mali. Sections on its history, design and significance, plus pictures.
Wikipedia: Suleiman Mosque
- Illustrated history and description from the online collaborative encyclopedia of this grand mosque in Istanbul, built on the order of Suleiman I to a design by Sinan which reflected the nearby Hagia Sophia.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, January 2, 2007 9:25:17 PM EST -