become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Monasteries
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Religious: Christian: History: Monasteries
Regional: Africa: Egypt: Society and Culture: History: Christianity in Egypt
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Denominations: Catholicism: Orders
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Denominations: Orthodox: Monasteries
This category in other languages:
- An article from the Catholic Encyclopedia explaining the history, layout and function of monasteries. Expandable thumbnail image of the plan of Durham Cathedral Priory, UK.
The Abbey of Montecassino
- Illustrated history and visitor information for the famous Italian monastery founded by St. Benedict. Bombed in 1944, it has been rebuilt to its former plan.
The Abbey of Saint-Germain of Auxerre
- The French Ministry of Culture covers 15 centuries of history of this monastery founded by Germanus. Plans, reconstructions, biography of Germanus, virtual pilgrimage, and outline of techniques used in studying the building.
Al-Ahram: St Catherine's on the List
- The UNESCO World Heritage Committee added the Greek Orthodox Monastery of St Catherine in Sinai, one of the oldest Christian monasteries in the world, to its list of protected sites. Includes description and photograph.
Archabbey of Pannonhalma, Hungary
- Benedictine monks settled here in 996 and went on to convert the Hungarians. Official history, description and photo album of this World Heritage Site, still in monastic use.
Franciscan Church, Plzen, Czech Republic
- An illustrated history and description by Milos Wimmer of this early Gothic church and monastery, from City of Plzen. The cloisters and chapter house survive.
Languedoc: Historic Monasteries
- James McDonald provides a guide to the religious houses of this part of southern France, including the World Heritage site of Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert.
Maulbronn Monastery, Germany
- The most complete and best-preserved medieval monastery north of the Alps and hence a World Heritage Site. Brief history, 19th-century plan and photographs from Wolfgang M. Werner.
- Images and information on a selection of monasteries from medieval to modern in Europe and Asia, provided by Great Buildings Online.
Mount Athos: The Holy Mountain
- A guided tour of this flourishing ecclesiastical community by Macedonian Heritage, including an illustrated description of its architecture, with bibliography.
Musée des Augustins de Toulouse
- Museum housed in the church and the chapter house of an Augustinian monastery, built in the southern French Gothic style. Includes a brief history and images of the buildings.
St. Catherine's Monastery, Egypt
- An illustrated history and description of this ancient monastery in the Sinai desert, built 527-565, from Tour Egypt.
St. Gall Monastery Plan
- This Mellon Foundation-funded project displays the extraordinary survival of a monastic plan created in the early 9th century. Images of the plan and reconstructions from it.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, November 22, 2013 1:15:04 PM EST -