become an editor
the entire directory
only in Romanesque/United_Kingdom
Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Religious: Christian: History: Churches: United Kingdom
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Periods and Cultures: Medieval: Anglo-Saxon
All Saints' Church, Brixworth
- Photographs, plan, model, history, discussion and bibliography on this Anglo-Saxon church by Stephanie James from Britannia Internet Magazine.
Anglo-Saxon Churches in Britain
- David Nash Ford introduces the topic in Britannia Internet Magazine. Links to pages on specific churches.
Bradwell-on-Sea, St Peter's Chapel, Essex
- Comprehensive site devoted to this important small chapel which was built by St Cedd as a cathedral around 654, using the site of an old Roman fort.
Breedon and Worthington, Leicestershire
- The official site includes a detailed history, description and bibliography by Brian Williams of the Saxon church of Breedon-on-the-Hill, notable for its sculptures. Plan and drawings.
The Friends of Deerhurst Church
- Provide a history of this major Anglo-Saxon church. The Friends support an academic annual lecture which is subsequently published. Details of events and publications.
- Peter Evans gives a description and photographs of this superb Norman church, with bibliography.
- The parish web-site provides a history and photographs of the ancient church of St Peter, founded 674, though much rebuilt in the 1870s.
Odda's Chapel, Deerhurst
- Photograph and brief history of this tiny Anglo-Saxon chapel built by Odda, Earl of the Hwicce, by David Nash Ford from Britannia Internet Magazine.
Saxon Churches in Sussex
- Martin Snow outlines the arrival of Christianity in Sussex and looks at each church. Includes scholarly articles from the Sussex Archaeological Collections, plans, drawings and photographs.
The Shrine Church of Saint Melangell
- This simple Romanesque church at Pennant Melangell, Wales, houses the relics of an Irish saint. Photographs, plan with historical notes, the legend of the saint, visitor information.
Sompting, Sussex, St Mary's Church
- A tour around this historic church, accompanied by many expandable photographs.
St Andrew's Church, Nether Wallop
- The church which can boast the only Anglo Saxon wall painting to survive in situ. History and photographs.
St Laurence's Chapel at Bradford-on-Avon
- Southampton University explains its work on one of the best-preserved Anglo-Saxon churches. History, architecture, excavation, interpretation and computer-based reconstructions.
St Mary's Priory Church, Deerhurst
- Photographs and history of this Anglo-Saxon church by David Nash Ford from Britannia Internet Magazine.
St Nicholas Church, Sturry
- A descriptive tour around this Norman church with Gothic additions and Tudor porch.
St. Laurence Church, Bradford-on-Avon
- Photographs, plan, history, discussion and bibliography on this Anglo-Saxon chapel by Stephanie James from Britannia Internet Magazine.
St. Mary's Church, Sompting
- Photographs, models, history, discussion and bibliography on this Anglo-Saxon church by Stephanie James and David Nash Ford from Britannia Internet Magazine.
- The official site for this church dedicated to St Cuthburga, who founded a nunnery in Wimborne c.705. The present church is mainly Norman. Outline history included.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 1, 2015 at 8:45:06 UTC -