become an editor
the entire directory
only in Building_Types/Libraries
Reference: Libraries: Library and Information Science: Library History
- Oxford University's page about its main research library, one of the oldest in Europe and which today consists of the buildings on the central site and nine other libraries.
Carnegie Libraries of Scotland
- An illustrated guide by Gerry Blaikie to the architecture and history of libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie in Scotland.
Designing Libraries - Library Buildings Online
- A database of descriptions and images of recent UK public library building projects. A resource for sharing expertise and experience on library planning and design.
Glasgow University Library
- An illustrated timeline of one of the largest libraries in the United Kingdom, with its origins in the Middle Ages, but now housed in a building of the 1960s.
Great Buildings Online: Libraries
- Photographs, dates and discussions of a selection of the world's most outstanding library buildings from ancient to modern, with references.
McLennan Library Building
- A seven-storey reinforced concrete structure built in 1969 at the McGill campus in Montreal and designed by Dobush, Stewart, and Bourke. Description and photographs.
Pasadena Public Library
- A brief history from its founding in 1882, with illustrations and links to further details. The 1924 buildings designed by Myron Hunt and H.C.Chambers were restored and renovated between 1984 and 1990.
Seattle Public Library
- Arcspace's page about the innovative design for the new Central Library by architect Rem Koolhass, with brief description and photographs.
South Christchurch Library
- An environmentally friendly building opened in 2003 and winner of a supreme award for architecture at the NZIA awards. Designed by Architecture Warren and Mahoney. Links to photographs and further information about the building.
The Sterling Memorial Library
- Contemporary description and photographs from the April 1931 issue of the Yale Library Gazette.
Wikipedia: Biblioteca Joanina
- The Baroque library of the University of Coimbra, built in the 18th century. An illustrated description from the collaborative online encyclopedia.
Wikipedia: Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- This huge modern library in Egypt designed by Norwegian architects Snøhetta, commemorates the famous ancient Library of Alexandria. An illustrated description from the collaborative online encyclopedia.
Wikipedia: Danish Royal Library
- An illustrated description with a link to a Wikimedia Commons thumbnail gallery of images of the new (1999) 'Black Diamond' library extension building designed by the Danish architects Schmidt, Hammer and Lassen.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 24, 2016 at 6:54:03 UTC -