become an editor
the entire directory
only in Hospitals_and_Asylums/Kirkbride
Hospitals and Asylums
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Hospitals and Asylums: Kirkbride
Athens State Hospital
Danvers State Hospital
Northampton State Hospital
Traverse City State Hospital
A Brief History of Spring Grove
- Chronological history of second oldest mental hospital in the United States, with many illustrations including photos of buildings and building plans.
A Mental Hospital's Breakdown
- April 20, 2003 article from the Pittsburg Post-Gazette concerning history and pending demolition of Dixmont State Hospital.
Clinton Valley Center - An Album of Images and History
- Historic information along with modern and historic images of the former Pontiac State Hospital in Michigan.
Elgin State Hospital Annex
- Postcard image of annex at Elgin State Hospital in Illinois, accompanied by description of early history.
Fergus Falls State Hospital Complex
- Minnesota Historical Society page with history, context, modern color photos, and links to related historic buildings.
- A photographic journey by David and Karie Esmann through some of the historical asylums and state hospitals of the United States.
Insane Asylum Number 3, Nevada, Missouri
- Page by London Irwin featuring several historic postcard images of the old Nevada State Hospital.
Institute of Penn. Hospital Getting a New Lease on Life
- Philadelphia Business Journal article concerning re-use of Dr Kirkbride's mental hospital building.
- Information on Thomas Story Kirkbride and his mental hospital plan. Includes photographs of several Kirkbride buildings.
- Historic District web page with detailed description of this pioneering Philadelphia hospital and its history.
Michigan Historical Marker - Clinton Valley Center
- Michigan Historical Markers page on asylum building designed by Elijah E. Myers and completed in 1878.
Places in Worcester - Asylum For the Insane
- Community page with historic anecdotes from several submitters, and old postcard views.
St. Elizabeths Hospital
- Historic Medical Sites page concerning this federal government mental hospital in Washington, D.C., with recent photo of the center of the Kirkbride building.
The Demise of Pontiac State Hospital
- The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit site presents this well-documented and well-illustrated tour of the former Pontiac State Hospital (Clinton Valley Center) at a time when it had been partially demolished during 2000.
Town Sees Red Over Police Vandalism (Weston, West Virginia)
- Article from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette from June 1999 about the former Weston State Hospital in West Virginia. The article gives equal attention to a police vandalism incident and plans to re-use the building.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:35:08 PM EST -