become an editor
the entire directory
only in Hospitals_and_Asylums/Kirkbride
Hospitals and Asylums
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Hospitals and Asylums: Kirkbride
Athens State Hospital
Danvers State Hospital
Northampton State Hospital
Traverse City State Hospital
A Brief History of Spring Grove
- Chronological history of second oldest mental hospital in the United States, with many illustrations including photos of buildings and building plans.
Clinton Valley Center - An Album of Images and History
- Historic information along with modern and historic images of the former Pontiac State Hospital in Michigan.
The Demise of Pontiac State Hospital
- The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit site presents this well-documented and well-illustrated tour of the former Pontiac State Hospital (Clinton Valley Center) at a time when it had been partially demolished during 2000.
Elgin State Hospital Annex
- Postcard image of annex at Elgin State Hospital in Illinois, accompanied by description of early history.
Fergus Falls State Hospital Complex
- Minnesota Historical Society page with history, context, modern color photos, and links to related historic buildings.
- A photographic journey by David and Karie Esmann through some of the historical asylums and state hospitals of the United States.
Insane Asylum Number 3, Nevada, Missouri
- Page by London Irwin featuring several historic postcard images of the old Nevada State Hospital.
Institute of Penn. Hospital Getting a New Lease on Life
- Philadelphia Business Journal article concerning re-use of Dr Kirkbride's mental hospital building.
- Information on Thomas Story Kirkbride and his mental hospital plan. Includes photographs of several Kirkbride buildings.
- Historic District web page with detailed description of this pioneering Philadelphia hospital and its history.
A Mental Hospital's Breakdown
- April 20, 2003 article from the Pittsburg Post-Gazette concerning history and pending demolition of Dixmont State Hospital.
Michigan Historical Marker - Clinton Valley Center
- Michigan Historical Markers page on asylum building designed by Elijah E. Myers and completed in 1878.
Places in Worcester - Asylum For the Insane
- Community page with historic anecdotes from several submitters, and old postcard views.
St. Elizabeths Hospital
- Historic Medical Sites page concerning this federal government mental hospital in Washington, D.C., with recent photo of the center of the Kirkbride building.
Town Sees Red Over Police Vandalism (Weston, West Virginia)
- Article from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette from June 1999 about the former Weston State Hospital in West Virginia. The article gives equal attention to a police vandalism incident and plans to re-use the building.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:15:04 PM EST -