the entire directory
only in Building_Types/Hospitals_and_Asylums
Hospitals and Asylums
Open Directory - Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Hospitals and Asylums
Byberry State Hospital
Health: Medicine: Facilities
Reference: Archives: Medical
Society: History: By Topic: Science: Medicine
Bedlam: Custody Care and Cure 1247-1997
- An old Museum of London exhibition telling the fascinating 750-year-old story of Bethlem Royal Hospital, popularly known as 'Bedlam', the world's oldest institution caring for people with mental disorders.
Burleson Sanitarium History Page
- History of Grand Rapids, Michigan sanitarium devoted to rectal disorders.
Early St. Louis Hospitals, Homes, and Asylums
- History of several historic St Louis, Missouri institutions.
Eastern State Hospital Bat Project
- Donna Hensley designs a bat house for Eastern State Hospital grounds in Medical Lake, Washington. Several photographs.
Edgewood State Hospital
- Railroad-oriented page features some building photos of this Long Island, New York mental hospital which has long since been closed.
Fairfield Hills State Hospital
- Gallery of photographs of this former Connecticut mental hospital.
Fairfield State Hospital
- Online history of Fairfield State Hospital in CT with photos.
Featured New York Postcards - Health Care
- Images of vintage postcards of several hospitals, sanitaria, sanatoria, and eldercare institutions in the state of New York.
Former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Project
- Web site dedicated to the history of the former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital in Toronto, Ontario. Contains patient files, and photo galleries.
Glore Psychiatric Museum. Roadside America
- Road report and review of the Glore Psychiatric Museum at the former mental hospital site. St. Joseph, Missouri.
Hastings Regional Center
- Rootsweb page with history of Hastings Regional Center in Nebraska.
Historic Asylums of America
- An attempt to catalog and present America's historic state hospitals (insane asylums) founded in the latter half of the 19th century.
History - Newark State Administration Building - Newark NY
- Architectural history of administration building for institution for the developmentally disabled located in Newark, New York from 1873 to 1974.
History of Arizona State Hospital
- Arizona state government page with history overview and sketch of this Kirkbride-like facility.
History of the South Carolina Department of Mental Health
- Illustrated history of South Carolina State Hospital and the State Department of Mental Health.
Hospital Architecture In Montreal
- Mcgill University provides a searchable database of images, a case study of the Royal Victoria Hospital, and a bibliography.
Hospitals of Hamilton, Ontario
- Pre-World War I postcard images of medical hospital, asylum, and sanatorium postcards in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Illinois State Institutions in the Early Days
- Overview of historic Illinois state institutions for the mentally ill, developmentally disabled, and other populations.
Kew Asylum Museum
- The Australian Science Academy Project explains its creation of a museum to document the history of this 19th-century former asylum in Victoria. Includes an illustrated history by Daniel Cass.
LIRR State Hospital Spurs
- Information on Long Island, New York state hospitals and how they were served by the Long Island Railroad.
Medical Heritage of Great Britain
- A gazetteer of historic hospitals, dispensaries, spas and other medical heritage from the Bath and Wessex Medical History Group, arranged by county.
Mohawk Valley Psychiatric Center
- History of this central New York State institution for the mentally ill located in Utica.
New York State Inebriate Asylum
- Founded 1858 and designed by architect Isaac Perry. Now known as Binghamton State Hospital. Contains recent and vintage photos, historical info, rare documents, links, and forum.
Newark State School
- History of Newark, New York institution for the developmentally disabled, with historic postcard image.
Normansfield Hospital (UK)
- Photo gallery of Normansfield Hospital, founded by John Langdon Down in 1868 for people with learning disabilities.
- History of Northville mental hospital complex in Michigan, with many recent photos.
Norwich State Hospital
- Gallery of modern photos.
- Illustrated article about sanitarium at Gute Hill in Owosso, Michigan
Pennsylvania Hospital: History: Virtual Tour
- Illustrated virtual tour of hospital originally designed by architect Samuel Rhoads.
Pennsylvania State Hospital for the Criminally Insane
- Brief architectural specification page concerning mental institution in Farview, Wayne County, Pennsylvania.
Pilgrim State Hospital
- Photographs of the abandoned buildings at Pilgrim State Psychiatric Center in Brentwood, New York.
- Extensive site concerning the history of poorhouses.
- Official page for the museum in the reconstructed Public Hospital at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia; first opened in 1773.
Public Hospital in Colonial Williamsburg
- Article about this early mental hospital in Virginia
St. Joseph's Sanitarium and Bath House
- Genealogy-related page with image and early history of medical/spa sanitarium in Mt. Clemens near Detroit.
The Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital Shrine
- A "cyberspace shrine" for the abandoned Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital, Maidenhead, England.
The Changing Face of Borgess
- Early history including architectural information of Borgess Hospital, founded in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1889.
The History of Oak Grove Hospital
- Vintage account at a genealogy site of the early history of the Oak Grove mental hospital in Flint, Michigan.
The History of Rotherham's Hospitals
- Illustrated history of four United Kingdom hospitals.
The Manteno Project
- The Manteno Project, information and photographs about the history of the Manteno State Hospital (aka the Manteno Mental Health Center), in Manteno, Illinois.
The Old Operating Theatre Museum
- Britain's oldest surviving operating theatre. Provides history of the museum, details of its facilities, a virtual tour and mailing list.
Western State Hospital History
- History page at Western State Hospital (Virginia) site, with many historic images.
Binghamton State Hospital
- Donna Thomas reports on the preservation prospects of this former mental hospital building in New York, designed by Isaac Perry. (March 01, 2000)
Hospitals and Asylums
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:33:42 AM EST -