become an editor
the entire directory
only in Castles/United_Kingdom
Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Houses: Country: United Kingdom
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Architecture: Historic Buildings
- Illustrated articles by Paul Martin Remfry, along with details of his booklets on castles in England and Wales.
- Database of castles in England and Wales, accompanied with photographs, maps, and links to further resources.
- A photographic guide to hundreds of castles in England, Scotland and Wales with descriptions, historical information, visitor information and interactive maps.
Castle Studies Group
- Aims to promote the study of castles in all their forms and by all possible means. Contains committee information, events, conference, news and publications.
Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales
- Database of 800 survivals. Interactive maps lead to photographs, brief descriptions and visitor information by Charles Taylor. Also a brief, illustrated history of the subject.
- Andy Catling provides an overview of the history of medieval castles and the society that built them plus a comparison with Victorian mock castles - accompanied by photographs.
Castles of Britain
- US-based Castles Unlimited offers a commercial research service. Lists of castles; photo gallery; ground plans and bird's-eye views of a few castles; general background articles; glossary.
- Site provides information and pictures for many castles in England, Scotland and Wales. Visitor information is enhanced by use of ordnance survey maps to pinpoint actual locations. Castles are easily searchable by location or alphabetical listings.
- Uses interactive maps to find castles in Great Britain, featuring descriptions, photos and directions.
- Lists British castles and fortifications built between 1000-1600.
The Good Castle Guide
- Database of over 2,000 castles and fortified sites in the British Isles. Includes brief histories, photographs, GPS map references and access information for listed sites.
- Appealing introduction to medieval fortresses of Great Britain by Edward Blanchard, from The War Times Journal, with professional photographs of a few of the most famous.
Project Britain: Castles
- History and photographs of castles in Britain, written for children aged 7-11.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 6, 2014 at 6:54:07 UTC -