the entire directory
only in Fortifications/Castles
Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Houses
Recreation: Travel: Lodging: Castles
Society: History: By Time Period: Middle Ages
This category in other languages:
- Photographs of castles and ruins in Europe (Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary) with brief history and location.
The Castle of Lari
- This medieval castle near Pisa, Italy, was transformed over the centuries into a luxurious governor's residence. An illustrated history, guide to notable buildings of Lari, and visitor information.
Castle of Sypesteyn
- The official site of this mock-medieval castle in Netherlands built around 1900 by C.H.C.A. van Sypesteyn, who intended it as an authentic reconstruction.
- Photographs and outline history of this medieval castle in Northern Italy - now a museum - from Dorf Tirol.
- Images and descriptions of several castles in Europe and Himeji Castle, Japan, with references, from Great Buildings Online.
Castles and Castle Ruins in the Netherlands
- Enthusiast Marko Tjemmes supplies clear histories of castles close to his home in Rotterdam, illustrated with photographs, earlier images and ground plans. Bibliography.
Castles and Fortresses in 3D
- Jeffrey Cooper's photographs of castles and fortresses in Europe, including some in three dimensions, with instructions on how to view.
Castles of Poland
- Information about castles presently within the Polish borders illustrated with photographs, plans, drawings, sketches and reconstructions. Search engine and detailed map are available.
Castles of the Crown of Castile
- A bilingual site, English and Spanish, about the castles of this ancient Spanish kingdom. The castles are arranged by geographical category.
Castles of the Middle Ages
- An introduction to castles - their purpose, rooms, and defenses - and descriptions of some of the most famous in the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Eastern Europe. Includes weddings in castles.
Castles of the United States
- Castle-fan Jim is building himself a mock-medieval home. Here he gathers images of other imitation castles in the US.
Castles of the World
- Extensive collection of castles, palaces, fortresses and monasteries. Organized with search engine, maps, descriptions, photos and a directory.
Castles of Tuscany
- P.Ramponi's comprehensive guide navigated via an index and interactive maps. Readable history and photographs for each of the many castles or walled towns.
Castles, Chateaux and Manor Houses
- History, purpose, architecture, sieges, examples, photographs, castle tours, renting and hiring castles, châteaux and manor houses
- Cathar Castles of the Languedoc: descriptions, locations, photographs, maps, site plans, history and primary source materials.
- Renaissance moated castle in Denmark from 1554 with information in English, Danish and German. Includes a large park with beautiful gardens, and an old-timer museum.
- Photographs and history of castles in England, Scotland, Wales and Europe.
- Roman Derych provides an illustrated introduction to the history and architectural development of one of the best preserved castle complexes in the Czech Republic.
- Guide about the Hohensalzburg castle in Salzburg, Austria.
- Describes the construction of this fortress built in Suwon, Korea by King Jeongjo.
- Informative website containing the history of the castles built in the Dark Ages. It also features stories and torture devices employed.
- Companion site to the NOVA program on castles.
ORB Bibliographies: Castles
- Over 1600 citations of works on castles from the Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies.
- Official Website of the Pulyn-Y-Aleg Castle preservation trust Beautiful and mysterious castle on the Welsh coast.
- Robert Rongen presents images and brief details of hundreds of medieval castles, sorted by country, region and castle type. Includes a quick guide to castle types with plans, and a list of the top 100 castles, as rated by surfers.
- An Italian fortress dating from the Middle Ages, though much altered. History and archival images.
Treasures and Mysteries of the Malbork Castle
- Tourist guide Czeslaw Pajak describes the attractions of this medieval brick castle in Poland, once headquarters of the Teutonic Knights.
Wikipedia: Krak des Chevaliers
- An illustrated history of the great Crusader castle in Syria.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 11, 2014 at 20:05:08 UTC -