the entire directory
only in Building_Types/Fortifications
Great Wall of China
Western United States
World War II
Science: Technology: Military Science
Society: History: By Topic: Wars and Conflicts
This category in other languages:
The Alhambra of Granada
- Information on the Alhambra including tours and opening hours.
- Featuring underground military installations in Britain and France.
Castles, Fortresses, and Palaces of the World
- Images and brief descriptions from Glass, Steel and Stone of a selection of major buildings from medieval to 19th-century.
Chester: A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls
- Steve Howe of the Black and White Picture Place provides a guide around the Roman and medieval city wall. Map, modern and archival images with description and history, including quotations from primary sources.
Coastal Fortification on the Gulf of Mexico
- Andrew Bennett provides photographs and history of coastal fortifications of four generations from 1817 to World War II.
- History, plan and visitor information for this Victorian fortress outside Plymouth, UK, from the official site. Restored and owned by the Landmark Trust.
Fort McHenry, Baltimore, United States
- Built 1794-1803 on a five-pointed star plan. Description and photographs from National Park Service Baltimore Travel Itinerary.
- The story of the sole restored coastal artillery fort from Fortress Singapore, 1874 to the present.
- Historic tourist attraction located in Ticonderoga, New York. Offers tours, historic galleries, walking trails and gardens for visitors.
- Dedicated to documenting historical forts, camps and stations that provided security and protection for the United States and Canada.
The Fortress of Neuf-Brisach, France
- Illustrated description from an exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, of the fortress town constructed 1698-1720, designed by Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban.
- Guide in St. Petersburg, where a special portal is dedicated to the history and the present.
- Expandable thumbnail images of Aigues-Mortes, Carcassonne and Pierrefonds in France from Jeffrey Howe's Digital Archive of Architecture.
The medieval fortified town of Aigues Mortes
- Fortified town in the South of France with its original 13th century walls and towers, built by King Louis IX.
- Fortresses of northwest Russia and Finland. Photographs, maps, histories, and personal observations.
Parks Canada: Fortress of Louisbourg
- History, description, images and visitor information for the reconstructed 18th-century fortified town.
Stephen Wyley's Fortification Pages
- Provides introductions with bibliographies to military architecture, siege warfare, castles and Anglo-Saxon burhs. Images and information on sites including Constantinople, Masada, Shiro and Ankara.
- A Blog detailing visits to historical military fortifications in the United States.
Walled Towns Friendship Circle
- Includes most of the towns and cities in Europe with surviving town walls. Photographs, information.
- The romantic ruins of a restored castle and manor house.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 30, 2014 at 15:40:30 UTC -